Please ID these cleats!

thedutchwonder
thedutchwonder Posts: 6
edited September 2015 in Road general
Hi all,
The cleat on one of my road shoes is damaged, and I have not been able to find the type of cleat I have installed. I am using Crank Brothers pedals/cleats and Shimano shoes. The cleats that came with the pedals did not have rubber pads for walking, and my LBS gave me a pair of the same cleats but with two rubber wings to protect the cleat. The added bonus of these is that the rubber pads eliminate the side to side float on my pedals, which I like.

Can anybody ID these so I can find them online OR suggest a good alternative to purchase?? If anybody knows where to purchase them that would be fantastic as well (and lazy on my part).

Please and thanks! Pic below...

062CE3F3-2BE6-490D-BC01-7E22220AF271.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    As you are using the pedals that should be the clue you need.

Crank brothers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Simple enough. Thanks for the speedy response. I am more interested in the specific name of the style of cleat so that I may find them on the web. I have looked on CB's website with no luck. I will shoot them an email to see if they have any, or perhaps they have been phased out. These work well, and the styles on their site and elsewhere (Shimano's) have very bad ratings in the durability department.

I want these, or the best alternative!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Quite probably a Crank Brothers cleat on top a Shimano road SPD pontoon. Used to have something similar on my Dura-Ace SPDs.
  • I took the cleat off, took a better photo and performed a reverse image search. I was able to find them on a single, semi-shady website. I can't add them to my cart - they're probably out of stock - but at least I found them.

I guess Shimano's pontoon is the best go to :|
  • I took the cleat off, took a better photo and performed a reverse image search. I was able to find them on a single, semi-shady website. I can't add them to my cart - they're probably out of stock - but at least I found them.

All crank brothers clipless pedals work on the same principle. If you have a Crank Bros cleat, it will work with a Crank Bros pedal. Just make sure you use the same thing underneath the cleat, because if you take any spacers out, the shoe treat might foul the pedal spindle.

The only option you have is whether or not you want any free float.

They are VERY widely available. I have no idea what you've been putting into google. Here is a link to shopping results for "crank brothers replacement cleats" :roll:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=crank+brothers+replacement+cleats&ie=&oe=#q=crank+brothers+replacement+cleats&tbm=shop

not sure what the shimano pontoon is, but you need the CB cleat to work with the CB pedals. Shimano or Time or similar SPD cleats won't work.

As for longevity of shimano spd cleats: it is many many time greater than CB or Time, which use brass instead of the steel that shimano use.

I previously used CB but now use or Time pedals. The brass cleats of both last about 12 months. most people i know or have read about say shimano spd cleats last 10 years or more.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • The OP wants the cleats with those rubber bits sticking out the side - Crank Bros Road Cleats - show up on a few sites eg Westbrook Cycles but as they all seem out of stock I'm assuming they are discontinued.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • The OP wants the cleats with those rubber bits sticking out the side - Crank Bros Road Cleats - show up on a few sites eg Westbrook Cycles but as they all seem out of stock I'm assuming they are discontinued.
    Exactly. I have found plenty of alternatives to the style of cleat/pontoon, but I have not found an exact replacement.

The durability I'm talking about is regarding the rubber/plastic pontoon, not the metal of the cleat itself.

I am/was looking for the exact cleat pictured in my OP.
  • my view is that if you want spd style cleats, get spd shoes.

I have 3 pairs of cycling shoes, all spd style: winter boots, mtb shoes, touring shoes.

i wear any and all of them on my road bike, depending on conditions.

i don't wear the touring shoes on the mtb.

all these shoes have tread so no need of a pontoon that wears quickly. if the pontoons need replacing on a frequent basis you'll be spending more than a good pair of spd shoes in a couple of years.

if it's just the look of the road shoes you want, there are many pairs of spd's that don't look big and clunky.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Damn my dyslexia....
  • That's a good point Andrew. I'll keep that in mind for my next pair of shoes! I just visited my LBS again and they surprised me with 2 pairs of these cleats that they found buried in a parts box. PLUS, they had 4 extra rubber pieces. Considering those wear out more quickly than the cleat itself, I will be set for a while...at least until I desire new shoes/pedals.