Speedplay Pave

ic.
ic. Posts: 769
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Any BR Members had experience of the new Pave pedals? Are they better at clearing mud/grit and preventing getting locked in than zeros? Doesn't seem to be many user reviews around the net.
2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Any BR Members had experience of the new Pave pedals? Are they better at clearing mud/grit and preventing getting locked in than zeros? Doesn't seem to be many user reviews around the net.

Probably because no-one can afford to buy a pair.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The bit that confused me a little when looking at the design is that the lack of the mini-babybel part would surely mean that where those bits were missing, more crap can find it's way up into the workings of the cleat. The cleat is the same as the Zero too isn't it?
  • ic.
    The bit that confused me a little when looking at the design is that the lack of the mini-babybel part would surely mean that where those bits were missing, more crap can find it's way up into the workings of the cleat. The cleat is the same as the Zero too isn't it?

Different colour, and promises only to work with Pave and not Zeros and vice versa, but I have read a comment saying they are essentially the same

Oh, and more expensive, of course

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I assume it's exchange rate and stuff but the price of speedplay stuff now - especially in euros - is just farcical.

30 Eus for the spare walkable cleat covers is absurd!

What Ive heard from mag reviews are is that the pedals are better but mfin is right in that the cleat is the same as the zero's so presumable will still get just as bunged up if you stand in a muddy puddle
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ic.
    The thing that annoys me most about my Zeros is when I need to stop for a "nature break" at this time of yeah, it usually means standing in mud, which usually then means cleat release issues afterwards (not always). Wondering if these Paves are more resilient to this issue

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I presume the idea is that the open cross shape clears the dirt from the cleat. Not sure how that works, since the problem (for me at least) is usually dirt getting into the c-spring and stopping it moving. Last time it happened the only fix to really irritating engagement issues was complete disassembly and cleaning of the cleat.

They look to me as though a missed engagement (and resulting shin/pedal interface) could be quite unpleasant.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    unless you walk in mud/cack in your road shoes there's no point

the 'cafe stop' cleat covers are light, take up only a fraction of a jersey pocket, work well and take just a few seconds to fit/remove

even without covers, a little care in foot placement is generally enough, i've used speedplay zero for 5-6 years, the only time i ever got one clogged was when i saw the mud but was too stupid to put the covers on
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    even without covers, a little care in foot placement is generally enough, i've used speedplay zero for 5-6 years, the only time i ever got one clogged was when i saw the mud but was too stupid to put the covers on
    I use Keep-on Kovers, which are great normally but, when my Garmin mistakenly sends me down a road that turns into a lane that turns into a track that turns (temporarily) into a bog, they don't do much to keep the mud out...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    I use Keep-on Kovers, which are great normally but, when my Garmin mistakenly sends me down a road that turns into a lane that turns into a track that turns (temporarily) into a bog, they don't do much to keep the mud out...

i've seen those

the cafe stop ones are 'closed', so you can walk in mud/gravel/etc. and it doesn't get into the cleats, but of course you need to fit/remove them, so a smidge less convenient
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny