Pedals

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
edited October 2015 in Cyclocross
I'm currently using Shimano XT SPD pedals but i'm struggling with clipping back in after remounting. Now firstly I know this is 99% a technique thing and yes I know that it will come with time and practice. Now I use speedplay on the road bike and I'm just used to putting my foot on the pedal and pressing down. Whereas with the shimano you have to go with a toe town technique to get the front of the cleat engaging in the pedal and I think it's this that I'm struggling with.

I've been looking at crank brothers candy and wondering if these would be any better? I know that you have to keep up the maintenance on them but I have no problem with that. I know speedplay have just brought out mtb pedals but I don't really want to spend £180 on pedals.

Thoughts and recommendations most welcome.
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Not so much of a recommendation, but I'd steer clear of Time ATAC. Great pedals, but require significantly more "toe down" to clip in than SPDs. I tried to switch mid-season and couldn't get on with them; took me a Summer of commuting for it to become second nature...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    Not so much of a recommendation, but I'd steer clear of Time ATAC. Great pedals, but require significantly more "toe down" to clip in than SPDs. I tried to switch mid-season and couldn't get on with them; took me a Summer of commuting for it to become second nature...

I use eggbeaters and am generally happy with them. Not sure what Candy bring to the party, but would be concerned the legendary mudshedding of the beaters might be compromised.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Are your SPD's set to the minimum spring tension and nicely worn in? I've never used them personally but you can get multi direction release cleats which might help.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Are your SPD's set to the minimum spring tension and nicely worn in? I've never used them personally but you can get multi direction release cleats which might help.

It's not the clipping out that's the problem, it's the clipping in with the tow down method.
    VamP wrote:
    TGOTB[/url]"]
    rozzer32[/url]"]Thoughts and recommendations most welcome.

I use eggbeaters and am generally happy with them. Not sure what Candy bring to the party, but would be concerned the legendary mudshedding of the beaters might be compromised.

Yea I'm not sure either. From reading online it looks as if the platform is there in case you mis clip or something so you can still pedal. But obviously the body will have an effect on mudshedding but they're still meant to be good at mudshedding according to peoples view online, just not as good as the eggbeater.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674

It's not the clipping out that's the problem, it's the clipping in with the tow down method.
    VamP wrote:
    TGOTB[/url]"]
    rozzer32[/url]"]Thoughts and recommendations most welcome.

Yea I'm not sure either. From reading online it looks as if the platform is there in case you mis clip or something so you can still pedal. But obviously the body will have an effect on mudshedding but they're still meant to be good at mudshedding according to peoples view online, just not as good as the eggbeater.

I can still pedal with eggbeaters when miss-clipped, but rarely miss-clip. Usually when it's so cloggy, that even my pared down soles are getting packed full of mud, so I'd expect Candy to compound that problem...
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I use SPD pedals on my road bikes. I am not concious of using a toe down method of clipping in.I have never really thought about how I clipped in,I just sort of do it.Thinking about it now, I just push down with a bit of a forward motion. I do use two different pairs of shoes. My road shoes with a flat sole are not as easy to use as my mountain bike style shoes that have a sole that acts as a sort of guide. May be you are using too much toe down or over thinking things.
  • I second that. SPDs of various types are extremely common, virtually ubiquitous, in cyclocross.

You don't really need to angle your toe down to clip into SPDs. The whole point is that you can just press on the pedal and go, as long as your foot is positioned somewhere vaguely near the pedal then you should be good.

Sometimes mud gets stuck between the cleat and the sole cutout which can make clipping a bit awkward. If so I just bang my shoe against the crank arm and that usually frees it up enough to clip back in again.
  • I have eggbeaters and candys. I prefer the candys for the platform, as it does give you something to push against when you don't get clipped in straightaway after a remount. I am yet to use them in extreme mud, so will see how they cope with that in due course.

There is some toe down motion with them, which is different to the toe down on Look Keo road pedals. It is taking a while to get fully used to them, but its coming. I've only tried SPDs but I doubt they are much different to SPDs in terms of technique for clipping in.