Used values & eBay - I just don't get it!

Fishboyz
Fishboyz Posts: 152
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Been looking at another bike to compliment the one i have..

Scott solace used on eBay - starting bid 1200! I can get a new one for that
Cannondale Synapse 105 6 - Starting bid 1000 a year old, can get one new 995
Supersix with 105 10 speed - folks want 800 min, can get a new one 995 with new 105 and better wheels
Addict 20, guy wanted offers at 1400 - again I can get a new one 1600!

Is it just me or used sellers want 90%+ of the what is easily around this time of year??

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Folks can ask whatever they like. The important reality check is how much are they able to realise from their auctions. (I'm assuming no-one has bid on any of the items you quote - certainly hope not!!). The asking price for some Rapha gear is even more laughable. There are some bargains to be had - generally from people with realistic expectations.

Peter
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    What sellers think their bikes are worth and what buyers are prepared to pay are often a long way apart. If the price is not right the bike will not sell.
  • Some people will have a BIN price over the odds because they want to recoup the seller's fee, some people are genuinely deluded and some people are knowingly taking the p!ss.
  • Some people will have a BIN price over the odds because they want to recoup the seller's fee, some people are genuinely deluded and some people are knowingly taking the p!ss.

This 100%
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    In 2008 I bought my first road bike, a Focus Variado, for £600. I used the bike for a year, probably only covered about 2000 miles but didn't really maintain it well tbh.
    In spring 09 I decided to sell it & get a carbon bike as I started to take cycling more seriously (not that I couldn't have done that with the Variado mind) . I had my lbs do a basic service before I put it on eBay for 99p - it sold for over £800!!
    I remember thinking that the buyer must be fake or something but nope, 2 days later he collected the bike & paid in cash.

I think eBay in its early days was a good place to pick up a bargain, but those days are long gone. Some people obviously don't realise that though.
  • At least check out what the internet going rate is...I had a bloke who started a Caad10 disc for 1200 in mint...err Hargroves sell em less than that new, free shipping :-(
  • There's an original model pink Rapha stowaway on there at the moment for £300. Not a sniff. Think it's been listed several times. You think he'd get the message by now.

But my personal favourite is the Condor Bivio. Have a look at that beauty.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just a thought - some might be listed at the behest of their partner ...

"I would sell it love, but nobody wants to buy it ... so I might as well just keep it as a winter bike ... " ;)
  • I notice this when I'm trawling Fleabay, but I think that sometimes (not always) it's just ignorance on the behalf of the seller. They tend to take the price they paid for it and value the bike at a second hand price based on that, rather than what the bike is currently being sold for.

A recent example I saw was the Boardman Cyclocross bike that Halfords had reduced from £900 to £650, but there were still Ebay listings for used models with asking prices of £550+. I guess a fair few of them just hadn't realised that the model was so heavily discounted.

But yes, some just take the p.

EDIT - Just noticed that this forum now links to websites automatically, in case anyone thinks I have provided the links to Hal Fords and Eee Bay!
  • I was surprised when I sold some brakes on Ebay and they went for more than many on-line retailers were selling them for. They were sold to a guy in Northern Ireland so I assumed he didn't have access to the same deals for geographic reasons.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My fav is people who build a bike, usually fixed/track, put all top end components on and realise they can't ride fixed/change or circumstance/whatever and try to sell their new build as if its worth the max RRP of all the components. Good luck!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I think a lot of people buy bikes at full RRP, leave them gathering dust in the garage as they loose interest and expect to get back what they paid minus say 10% without realising times have moved on and stuff has got cheaper.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    Look at the completed listings that have actually sold. That will give a better indication of value.
  • On the other side of the coin you get complete muppets who want something for nothing. Same happens in the classified here.

'Please can I have 50% off I have the cash' So? I bet you do at a 50% discount!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have sold loads of things on ebay for more than they would cost to buy new.
    I did not start them at an unrealistic price, but even if I had, I would not have been 'taking the pi55'.

People can ask what they want for their items. Don't get annoyed with them just because they won't give you a bargain lol.
    ebay is more for selling than buying bike stuff IME.
  • I don't know about that. Autocorrect has much to answer for, and a Cannonade Hologram is much, much cheaper than a Cannondale Hollowgram...
  • To the OP

Tick the "Sold listings" option on ebay and you will find what these bikes are actually selling for. e.g Canondale Synapses are going for between £535 and £750- much less than the starting bids you quoted.