Cross Roads Armadillo Tyres?

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited September 2015 in Commuting general
I've had enough of punctures - now four in the first 530 miles or so. (doing 30 miles a day when I cycle)

I got a puncture, took a week to sort it (tubeless and needed to replace solidified sealant) - fixed it, then got another different puncture the first time I ride.

My route is through muddy woodlands, gravel to large stone paths, road, cycle paths, on a Cyclocross bike.

http://www.dalescycles.com/700c-specialized-crossroads-armadillo-tyre-bundle-presta-p6959

Thinking about these crossroads armadillo tyres? is there anything I should be considering before I buy?

Comments

• My hybrid I use for commuting had these tyres on when I bought it 10 years ago. I've had one puncture from a large thorn at hedge cutting time one dark night about seven years ago. I commute 30 miles a day so I am pretty happy with them. The only issue I had was getting the thorn that caused the puncture out of the tyre. It had gone in through the reinforced part and was gripped in tight. I guess this is common to all other reinforced tyres given they are designed to resist being pierced. I now carry a tyre boot so that in the event of a puncture, I can use that to prevent a stuck thorn repuncturing the tube until I get home and fully remove the thorn. I haven't had to do that yet though.
    I would hope the quality of the tyres available today is as good as my originals.
  • dancook
    i just read they 'turn to slicks' in the mud.

I don't fancy coming off my bike on my commute :)
  • dancook
    Ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700c Tour Tyres.

Being puncture free is king :) so will see how it handle the rest..
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

They are uncomfortable and wooden but as bombproof as tyres get. I use them throughout the winter months on my hybrid. If you struggle to get them on the wheel search online for Harrogates Spa Cycles video of how to fit a marathon plus - it can be a bit of a wrestling match. Ever since watching I have carried a few bits of cord to help fitting - one used twice in about 3 years (that 34 miles 4 days a week)
  • dancook

They are uncomfortable and wooden but as bombproof as tyres get. I use them throughout the winter months on my hybrid. If you struggle to get them on the wheel search online for Harrogates Spa Cycles video of how to fit a marathon plus - it can be a bit of a wrestling match. Ever since watching I have carried a few bits of cord to help fitting - one used twice in about 3 years (that 34 miles 4 days a week)

I don't understand why only in the winter months? surely punctures can happen all year round?
  • imatfaal
    edited September 2015

I don't understand why only in the winter months? surely punctures can happen all year round?

I tend to find that in the summer I can see and avoid glass and potholes and there aren't the little sand-banks of crap deposited in the road by the rain water. In general there is less rubbish on the road in summer - it gets swept to the gutter by cars; the wet roads hold the crap and there is more off it.

Additionally I do a half dozen miles off normal roads (canals/river banks) and the tyres get muddy - very soon back on the roads you notice that your muddy tyres are picking up every flint and piece of glass and holding it there for multiple rotations each time getting another chance to penetrate. The same concept of adhesion of sharp objects applies to just simple water - but with mud it is worse.

In the summer about half my mileage (on both bikes) is fun riding in the Essex/Herts/Cambridgehire countryside and I like my lighter tyres - so I take the risk with my commute. In the winter only one bike is used for the commute with Marathon Pluses and the weekend bike keeps Duranos or Contis of some sort
  • dancook
    Additionally I do a half dozen miles off normal roads (canals/river banks) and the tyres get muddy - very soon back on the roads you notice that your muddy tyres are picking up every flint and piece of glass and holding it there for multiple rotations each time getting another chance to penetrate. The same concept of adhesion of sharp objects applies to just simple water - but with mud it is worse.

Oh I see, I'm doing 30 miles a day and a good majority of that is offroad. Not sure things will necessarily get better for me in the summer.
  • imatfaal

Oh I see, I'm doing 30 miles a day and a good majority of that is offroad. Not sure things will necessarily get better for me in the summer.

They are really not that bad a ride - just not as lively and more wooden than lighter tyres. After a months you should be able to pick half a dozen pieces of glass/flint out of the rubber - perhaps one of which would have burst through a thinner tyre. Well you can if you commute in London - but I have seen the shots of your commute and I am pretty sure you will avoid that.
  • dancook
    12074809_10156336350725227_3943677556495094735_n.jpg?oh=8d2fd0c176f6dd731a9566a370cb5401&oe=569AC773

They went on fairly easy..here's hoping no more punctures