Race ready bike - Canyon Ultimate AL or CF?

oliwade
oliwade Posts: 17
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi guys I recently started cycling and have found I am not too bad (although not great), I am currently 16 and so I'm unable to afford any more than about £1200 at the moment, but due to no VAT here I can afford either the Canyon Ultimate AL SLX 9.0 or the Ultimate CF SL 7.0.

I am looking to buy a bike that is race ready for local criteriums and road races at a reasonable high level (most people in these are cat 2).

The Ultimate AL is aluminium but comes with Ultregra and a very decent Mavic wheelset, the Ultimate CF on the other hand is carbon but comes with 105 and a lesser (but still okay?) Mavic wheelset for the same price. Surprisingly (likely due to the wheelset) the AL version is a fair bit lighter.

Is it worth purchasing the carbon version simply for the carbon frame? Or getting the aluminium one for an all round race package? It's likely I'll be looking at a new bike in the future however I need something that will get me by at a fairly high level for a year or two as my old Specialized just wont quite cut it.

Many thanks

Comments

• The carbon one is easier to sell if you wanna change in the future, 105 is already a great groupset.
    On the road, I feel no difference between an alloy or a carbon frame.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    What is it about your old Spesh that doesn't "cut it"? What is it and what spec? It may be holding you back... but then it may be that a little coaching/structured training is required to get you to the next level or perhaps something else (tactics, diet, for example).

It may be worth asking the question "What do folks think is my best investment to get to the next level" rather than "Which bike should I buy".
  • What is it about your old Spesh that doesn't "cut it"? What is it and what spec? It may be holding you back... but then it may be that a little coaching/structured training is required to get you to the next level or perhaps something else (tactics, diet, for example).

It's a Specialized Allez with Shimano Claris, which isn't in the best condition anymore as it's been used as a daily commuter for 2 years. I was planning on getting a new bike to race on and leave this as my winter training bike.