Garmin 520 or 810

richievet
richievet Posts: 14
edited October 2015 in Road general
Hello all,
I'm thinking of purchasing one of these -the garmin 810 is actually cheaper than the 520 at the moment
As both have the features I require what would fellow forum members recommend?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hello all,
    I'm thinking of purchasing one of these -the garmin 810 is actually cheaper than the 520 at the moment
    As both have the features I require what would fellow forum members recommend?

If you don't want proper mapping, go for the 520 as the firmware is shared by both devices and the latest updates to enhance the 520 have caused screen freezing on the 810. (There are a number of current threads in Buying and General about how to get around the problems for the 810.) The 520 will do a breadcrumb trail like the 500, but it won't give you TBT prompts if you're using another screen other than the map.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • The 520 will do a breadcrumb trail like the 500, but it won't give you TBT prompts if you're using another screen other than the map.
    can you explain a bit more about this? I'm looking into buy a garmin and I don't know what the difference is between breadcrum and turn by turn
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    tehtehteh wrote:
    can you explain a bit more about this? I'm looking into buy a garmin and I don't know what the difference is between breadcrum and turn by turn

Breadcrumb trail on the 520 is basically a route from A to B overlayed on the map (with the 500 & 510 the Breadcrumb was the same just without the map underneath).
    TBT directions are individual instructions along the route, eg at junctions which way to go. Etc.

I would have a search of this forum & read up DC Rainmaker's reviews
  • tehtehteh wrote:

Breadcrumb trail on the 520 is basically a route from A to B overlayed on the map (with the 500 & 510 the Breadcrumb was the same just without the map underneath).
    TBT directions are individual instructions along the route, eg at junctions which way to go. Etc.

ok sounds like I don't need turn by turn tbh
  • feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    I have just got a 520. Very happy with it. You will want to fiddle with settings. Turn by turn on the 520 not as good as the 810 but I turn off all turn by turn on it and just follow the purple trail and that's just fine for me. I have screen on at 60%, GPS+GLONASS both on, record at 1 second intervals, pair it with a heart rate monitor and with all that I lose 10% of battery an hour (i.e. it has around 10 hours battery life at that load). If you turned down the brightness to 30% (or even had it off which is probably fine in daylight) you'd get nearer 15 hours battery life

This tells you all you need to know about the 520: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garmin-edge-520.html

Instructions here on how to put maps onto it: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    If you need proper mapping and turn by turn then go for an 810. Otherwise the 520.

Either way. Always wait and check their forums before upgrading firmware. Garmin have a horrendous reputation
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I've recently got a 520 and am very happy with it so far- but not used it for navigation yet.
  • Keep in mind TBT on the 810 is pretty buggy and a lot of people have their computers freeze up and drop rides. In fact the only time I've ever had my 810 freeze up is when I use TBT, so at that rate it isn't really any better than a 520 for navigation.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Keep in mind TBT on the 810 is pretty buggy and a lot of people have their computers freeze up and drop rides. In fact the only time I've ever had my 810 freeze up is when I use TBT, so at that rate it isn't really any better than a 520 for navigation.

This was down to firmware updates 3.62 to 4.2. Turning off Bluetooth solves the problem, but Garmin Connect has now had a firmware fix to solve the problem of phone dropouts etc. I found reverting to an older version of the firmware 3.2 has solved the TBT issue, but the 810 in my experience does not like Tcx files and works better with Gpx. I tested my device (firmware v3.2) the other day with a course created on Ride with Gps downloaded as a course as a Gpx file. Bluetooth was deactivated as I'm using Cyclemeter instead of LiveTrack. TBT worked perfectly.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    My old Forerunner is dying on me - well the battery is, it says low battery after 90 minutes so I'm looking at a new unit. I really want tbt navigation, if you go anywhere without it you don't know, a printed map wrecks your rhythm, you end up stopping at almost every junction.
  • Keep in mind TBT on the 810 is pretty buggy and a lot of people have their computers freeze up and drop rides. In fact the only time I've ever had my 810 freeze up is when I use TBT, so at that rate it isn't really any better than a 520 for navigation.

...and no doubt we will soon be hearing about all the bugs in the 520 ;-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    tehtehteh wrote:

I would presume the difference is more than that. AKAIK, the 520 breadcrumb trail is basically the same as that of a 500 but with a base map underneath it (which is great). The difference with proper mapping is that you can go off route and the unit will be able to route you back. Or it will be able to guide you to the start of your route if you aren't already there.

I think if you are doing local day rides the 520 would be spot on. If you are travelling long distance, away from computers and in unfamiliar territory, then there is some considerable advantage to the 810.
    Faster than a tent.......