Fulcrum racing sport disc wheelset anyone?

comsense
comsense Posts: 245
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Anyone have these wheels?

I've got good mileage out of 3 sets of Campag Khamsins for rim brakes and was looking at these Fulcrums for a Merida disc bike (needs 15mm thru for front) and thinking they'd be in the same class. If the claimed weight is close, they would be a significant improvement on the stock Merida wheels If anyone has the fulcrums I'd greatly appreciate any feedback ( there is very little in the way of reviews)

THANKS

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    May not be a great deal of help but I specified them on the build of my new Planet X London Road which was delivered just over a week ago.

However there was an ulterior motive in that I already had a set of Moonglu handbuilt disc wheels that I was planning to switch onto the London Road. I thought that the Fulcrums would be easier to sell on than the other option on the build and I managed to sell them within 24hrs of advertising.

I did do a short rode on the Fulcrums just to check out the set up of the bike. Initial impressions were that they rolled well and seemed to be very well put together. They were not really helped by the fairly pedestrian urban tyres that PX had fitted to them.

One potential pointer is that Genesis have chosen to use them as the stock wheels on their top of the range Genesis Datum 30 carbon framed disc bike which retails at over £3K

http://road.cc/content/review/161471-genesis-datum-30
  • Thanks arlowood, Its better than nothing and the fact you sold them on easily enough means that if I don't like them I can likely sell them also. You should have made a name for yourself by doing a real test and posting the first real review :)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Thanks arlowood, Its better than nothing and the fact you sold them on easily enough means that if I don't like them I can likely sell them also. You should have made a name for yourself by doing a real test and posting the first real review :)

Just a heads up if you decide to buy. The cheapest source appears to be Ribble

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/fulcrum-fulcrum-wheels-factory-road-tri-fulcrum-pr-whls-racing-sport-db/fulcwhfr201

Out of stock ATM but if you can hold off until they reappear you will save about £40 over the Wiggle price
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    Got them and now have just over 600 kms on them. I said in my O.P I would be happy if they were comparable to the build standard of Khamsin rim brake wheels and I'd say they are imo. Bearings seem decent quality and the freewheel action is smooth and quiet. Spokes pinged in front on first hard effort and then settled.
    Good and inexpensive upgrade from stock wheels.