clipless pedals for beginners ?

Mattsar
Mattsar Posts: 11
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hey everyone!

Tomorrow I'm going to buy my first road bike .

Should I buy it with clipless pedals and biking shoes ?

Or should I wait until I ride on it for month or so ?

Is there a specific clipless pedals for beginners?

Note : I am going to buy Trek Domane 4.3

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=13036043

They make a huge difference to feel of being connected to the bike. Power advantages on upstroke are marginal, but they put your feet in the right place.

You will fall off but it won't hurt much.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Buy double sided SPDs and compatible shoes (not SPD SL) to start with (see link to previous thread) - Someone will disagree in the next three posts but most prefer for starters (and many of us never move on).
  • kawaspresso
    kawaspresso Posts: 106
    edited September 2015
    I agree, SPD pedals with mountain bike shoes are really good for a road beginner, so you can walk with your shoes if you want, they are easier to clip and you will not have to change cleats that often.
  • Agree with SPD pedals but get the SH-56 cleats rather than the usual SH-51 (or 52) that come with the pedals.
    The -56's will disengage if you roll your foot to the side which will be more natural to a beginner. Try and train yourself though to use the heel out method that all other pedals use so you can swap in the future if you like.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The easiest thing would be to get non clip in pedals and take a few weeks to getting used to the bike's geometry. After that, you could move on to clip ins. Simplest to use are SPDs which have both sides of the pedals available to clip in. They are particularly well suited if you will be doing any walking - SPD-SLs and Speedplay etc are not suitable for walking any distance.

However, if you are intending to use your bike solely for riding, I'd suggest you bite the bullet and get a pair of SPD-SL pedals such as Shimano 105 or Ultegra and shoes/ cleats to match. Undoubtedly this will feel a bit awkward at first and I'd suggest you go to somewhere like Richmond Park before venturing out on the highway to practice clipping in and out when starting/ stopping. The thing is that if you start with non clip in pedals or SPDs, it will always be awkward switching to a new pedal system. If it were me, I'd just go for it and get it over with!

Peter
  • I would get used to the bike and gears first with flat pedals that come with it. Then I'd definitely go with MTB SPD pedals and shoes, and practise unclipping and clipping in with one foot on the ground when stationery before actually riding with the SPDs.

I always unclip with my right foot when stopping, and only unclip my left foot when actually getting off the bike. I just find it easier to always unclip with the one foot. With MTB/leisure SPDs it is also easy to ride with one foot unclipped and that foot just pressing on the pedal, for example if in traffic or approaching junctions etc. and want to be able to put down your foot quickly.
  • That's was so helpful!

I had to read your comments many times to understand everything :D .

Again that's was very very helpful!

Thank you !