Which continental tyres?

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to get some new tyres for my winter CX bike, pretty much decided on some new continentals (although could be persuaded otherwise still). My shortlist of 3 is:

Gatorskin foldable
4 seasons
4000 sii

If I went for the 4000, I'd probably take the bog standard Grand Prix tyres off my best bike and put the new ones on that. These are also the most expensive option. Gatorskins are the cheapest option. I'll be getting 25mm minimum. Already have cross tyres on it at 32mm so there's a wider option there for when I really need it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    You've set out a bit of a mixed brief there!

If considering a set of tyres for a single bike for winter use, of the three listed, I'd suggest 4 Seasons are the best all rounders.

If you are wanting a new set of tyres for your best bike, which could be interpreted as the bike used in decent weather, the answer may be 4000s, but then you'll have compromised your winter tyres for the cx bike!

Peter
  • johngti
    If you are wanting a new set of tyres for your best bike, which could be interpreted as the bike used in decent weather, the answer may be 4000s, but then you'll have compromised your winter tyres for the cx bike!

Peter

I know - it's the shiny newness syndrome kicking in :$

To be fair, I've no issues with the tyres currently on my best bike, they're very good indeed. I'm hovering towards the 4 seasons
  • 4 Seasons are expensive, Gatorskins are cheaper but rock hard and not the best for wet grip, though mileage on them is good. Personally I prefer to shop around and buy cheap for winter tyres because commuting in all weathers ruins them, Michelin Lithion 2s for £15 each I've found to be good.
  • I've used all but the 4 seasons.

The overall best is the 4000sii in terms of grip, feel etc, but they will be more puncture prone and will wear faster than the other two- not what you want on a winter 'cross bike unless you're only planning on the odd ride on dry days. My old 4000s tyres also only lasted 1.5 seasons of light race use only before wearing to the point of too many punctures. Also v expensive.

Gatorskins- Wear life is legendary, puncture protection is also very good (if it gets through one of those, it'll get through any tyre worth riding on) but ride feel isn't as good at high pressures. Having very wide versions will probably help. Also the cheapest of the three.

4-Seasons- Halfway between the 4000s and gatorskins, with some extra tread for really grim conditions. Wear life is OK, and puncture protection is also quite good. Con is it is just as expensive as the 4000s ii.

My preference:
    Michelin Pro4 Endurance. I went to these early this year and the 25mm version comes up to 27.5mm, so the 28mm will be huge. They were cheaper than Gatorskins at the time, and although they don't have the same level of protection or wear rate (although not bad on either count) they are a fair chunk lighter and feel so much better to ride on. I'd be happy to put them on for a grotty road race in lieu of my actual race day tyres.
    The only con I can see with them is they have since ceased production and have the v2 version which is £26 per tyre rather than the £20 I paid, putting them close to 4 season territory.

However, Schwalbe Duranos are worth a look in- they are now the same weight as the Pro4 Endurance models but boast a far thicker protection layer apparently without feeling like hosepipes. Bikeradar gives them 5 stars and sets them as the benchmark for cheaper high milage tyres. These have morphed into the 'raceguard' tyres, and definately worth a look compared to the Gatorskins.

Good luck!
  • johngti
    Thanks all! I've put a pair of pro 4 sc that I had lying around in the short term while I persuade myself. How do you rate the grip on the pro 4 endurance?
  • Thanks all! I've put a pair of pro 4 sc that I had lying around in the short term while I persuade myself. How do you rate the grip on the pro 4 endurance?

Much better than the Gatorskins- I don't have to worry so much about leaning the bike into a fast corner anymore, especially if it's wet. They aren't quite as grippy as my 4000s or Ultremos though- and likely to be a little worse than your Service Courses as they are slightly thicker, but not a million miles away. Like I said earlier, I would be more than happy to take them into a gotty crit race, something I couldn't even consider with Gatorskins (although I do know one person who did for a couple of weeks when their main tyres were busted).
  • However, Schwalbe Duranos are worth a look in- they are now the same weight as the Pro4 Endurance models but boast a far thicker protection layer apparently without feeling like hosepipes. Bikeradar gives them 5 stars and sets them as the benchmark for cheaper high milage tyres. These have morphed into the 'raceguard' tyres, and definitely worth a look compared to the Gatorskins.

Good luck!

These. Durano's are superb. Tough but roll well and have brilliant grip.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Thanks all! I've put a pair of pro 4 sc that I had lying around in the short term while I persuade myself. How do you rate the grip on the pro 4 endurance?

Ah, widening horizons! I have a pair of SC Endurance on my commuting bike. I've had them on for about a year going into and out of central London every (dry-ish!) working day. I can't really comment on cornering grip - just doesn't happen on my commute! However, I think the Pro 4 range are great. I picked up my first puncture last week but I'm not complaining - after the weekend, riding through Islington the roads can have a load of broken glass along the kerb edge which is bound to take its toll eventually. Perfect for winter riding in my experience. My earlier comments related to your short list. A friend rates Schwalbe Durano Plus very highly for durability and p*ncture resistance. I've not tried them hence can only pass his comments along.

Peter
  • johngti

Ah, widening horizons! I have a pair of SC Endurance on my commuting bike. I've had them on for about a year going into and out of central London every (dry-ish!) working day. I can't really comment on cornering grip - just doesn't happen on my commute! However, I think the Pro 4 range are great. I picked up my first puncture last week but I'm not complaining - after the weekend, riding through Islington the roads can have a load of broken glass along the kerb edge which is bound to take its toll eventually. Perfect for winter riding in my experience. My earlier comments related to your short list. A friend rates Schwalbe Durano Plus very highly for durability and p*ncture resistance. I've not tried them hence can only pass his comments along.

Peter

Always good to keep an open mind peter!
  • I've put about 2k on a pair of 4 seasons and only one puncture and that was caused by a piece of thick wire that would have punctured pretty much anything. Most of my riding is on country lanes so plenty of bad surfaces/gravel etc. Will definitely get another pair once they are worn through.

Used 4000's previously and although they roll and handle marginally better than the 4s they cut badly and I had no end of punctures.