Advice on carbon fibre damage

David J Golden
David J Golden Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in Workshop
I have been told that you can repair carbon fibre?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    do you mean can you take off the 105 groupset components and put them on another bike?

yes

replace cables/outers when you do it, but otherwise no issue, these are standard components

but i think you should reconsider, i'd think a competent cf repairer will give you back a frame that's stronger than the original
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • do you mean can you take off the 105 groupset components and put them on another bike?

yes

replace cables/outers when you do it, but otherwise no issue, these are standard components

but i think you should reconsider, i'd think a competent cf repairer will give you back a frame that's stronger than the original

Thank you for your Advice. Its just I have heard some bad reports regarding CF repairs. The last thing I want is too have an accident at speed lol.

I will think about it further and again thnak you
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    from memory a few people who post on here have had repairs done, if you search you'll probably find recommendations
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Firstly, is this the result of an accident, or is the frame failing because of some manufacturing defect?

If you are the original owner you may have a warranty claim or a crash replacement option?

Carbon fibre is pretty mainstream nowadays, and competent repairers can do a fantastic job. It's not especially cheap, but you should at least get a couple of quotes.

The alternative is to strip the bike and transfer everything to a new frameset; not a particularly difficult job, or a bike shop would do it for a fee.

You'd have to strip the frame anyway if it's being repaired.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just to reinforce the above advice. A proper repair will be as strong - if not stronger - than the original tube. Not cheap but cheaper than a new frame. Try Fibrelyte or Carbonbikerepair - either will give you a quote
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D