Garmin Edge 810 vs 1000

kawaspresso
kawaspresso Posts: 106
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm about to buy a Garmin but I don't know which one between the Edge 810 and Edge 1000.
The 1000 has a bigger screen, for more data on the ride, but the 810 is cheaper and not that bad.
This will be my first Garmin.
Is the 1000 worth the extra money ?

Comments

• markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I had the 1000 and sold it to get the 810 as its smaller and does the same thing.
    The 1000 imo is far to big compared to the 810.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I bought an 810 as I thought the 1000 was too big. Three of my mates bought 810s at the same time and one bought a 1000. He now says he's fine with the 1000 but if he was making the choice again he'd get an 810. Isn't there an 820 coming out or is that just a rumour? If there is it should drop the price of the 810 a bit
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    fatdaz wrote:
    Isn't there an 820 coming out or is that just a rumour? If there is it should drop the price of the 810 a bit

Very doubtful.
    520 seems to be a cross between the 810 and the 500, with the 1000 the option for full maps.
    I really can't see Garmin replacing the 810 with a newer model.

This said, i really hope they do. The 810 has some good points and some bad points. The device on paper is superb, it is let down (like most garmin cycling gps devices) by software which just doesn't work.

I have ranted about this before, so all i will say is for me the 810 has been an extremely useful training aid - after i had accepted that the livetrack & turn by turn directions (main reasons i bought it) just do not work (reliably).

If i was buying again though i would probably end up with the same. I looked at the 1000 but found it too big. Ideally i would get the 520 - if they made that touchscreen.
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    I have been looking into this exact question today, I have a 500 which is fine for most of my riding but would like to move towards a bit of long distance cycling and would value mapping support.

I'm currently swaying towards the 810 with updated maps based on unit size but reviews of its performance seem mixed

Best comparison site I have found is this
    https://averagejoecyclist.com/garmin-edge-510-vs-810-vs-1000/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I was in the same position when I was looking to replace my 800. I went for the 810 cause of the price difference and the extra features weren't worth the extra cost. A friend bought his 1000 with Cadence and HRM for £360 and although the screen is a little bigger I'm happy with my 810.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I ordered the 810, thanks for advices !
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I ordered the 810, thanks for advices !

A wise choice in my opinion, but there are some things to be aware of.

The firmware updates since version 3.40 have caused a host of problems for the 810 and 510. The platform is supposedly used by the new 520 with the amendments in versions 3.6 to 4.2 designed around auto uploading to Strava and live segments. These changes are causing the screen to freeze or the device switch itself off mid ride. Not helpful if you're doing an event in an area you don't know. It has also caused problems with LiveTrack and linking with social media.

There are work rounds if you do find you experience the dreaded screen freeze issue.

1) Reverting to an older version of the software seems to work but it is messing about with the your device. The instructions can be found in General or on the Garmin forum in the Edge 810 section.

2) I think it was Redvision that suggested turning off Bluetooth so you don't connect to your phone and leave the firmware alone. This seems to work too but you do obviously lose LiveTrack. That can be got around if you have an Apple phone by downloading Cyclemeter for £3.99. I've tested the LiveTrack function of that and it works perfectly. As soon as your ride is finished, turn on Bluetooth on the device, connect to your phone and the auto upload should work.

The 810 is a bit fussy about how you download routes and in my experience doesn't like Tcx files. I save my routes as Gpx files instead and that seems to work fine and give prompts for turns.

I think there will be an 820 or even 900 for a couple of reasons. Size is one reason. The 1000 is far too big for a lot of people especially if like me you've got a 3T Integra mount which the 1000 won't fit. The price of the 810 has dropped so much it's cheaper than some second hand devices and Garmin have been in no rush to sort the latest firmware glitches. It's as if they've done their last bit of work doing anything that helps 810 owners. Lastly, whilst the 520 does have maps, it doesn't do turn by turn guidance and is just a breadcrumb trail like the 510. Owners will want the mapping functions of the previous 705/800/810 in a device if they can't fit a 1000 or don't want something so big. If Garmin don't respond to that, they could lose a lot of customers to the Wahoo Elemnt that does everything the 1000 does.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.