Cutting down the steerer tube

forehead
forehead Posts: 180
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Hi All,

I've left the steerer tube sitting proud of the stem for a few months on my new ride. I'm now happy with the set up and will cut down the steerer tube (I'll get the shop to do it). What's the proper thinking on leaving a few mm extra and not cutting down flush with the stem? Whilst I'm happy with the set up, am I likely to want to raise the stem at all in the future? Appreciate this is quite a subjective question.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Cube - Peloton
Cannondale - CAAD10

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Hi All,

I've left the steerer tube sitting proud of the stem for a few months on my new ride. I'm now happy with the set up and will cut down the steerer tube (I'll get the shop to do it). What's the proper thinking on leaving a few mm extra and not cutting down flush with the stem? Whilst I'm happy with the set up, am I likely to want to raise the stem at all in the future? Appreciate this is quite a subjective question.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Different manufacturers have different rules - some warranties might require that you follow these.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd want the bike to be set up how I want, and not worry about having a longer steerer in case you sell it in future.

What you can do may depend on whether the steerer is alloy or carbon. Some manufacturers insist on a spacer above the stem, others say no. Might also depend on the size / kind of steerer bung...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd want the bike to be set up how I want, and not worry about having a longer steerer in case you sell it in future.

What you can do may depend on whether the steerer is alloy or carbon. Some manufacturers of carbon steerers / forks insist on a spacer above the stem, others say no. Might also depend on the size / kind of steerer bung...
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Andy
    If you're not fussed about resale, I'd say it's worth cutting it 1mm above the stem and then running a 5mm spacer above, just to give a little room for adjustment (if only to allow for loss of flexibility if you, e.g., spend a month off the bike). As others have said, some manufacturers require a spacer above the stem; this is usually to do with where the clamping forces are in the stem itself.
  • Thanks all. Certainly no intention of future re-sale, it's an awesome bike. I'll go with the advice and leave some tube and a spacer.

Thanks.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Thanks all. Certainly no intention of future re-sale, it's an awesome bike. I'll go with the advice and leave some tube and a spacer.

Thanks.
    Make sure there's enough space between the top of the steerer and the top of the spacer for the top cap to seat properly, otherwise you won't be able to preload the headset. Top cap designs vary, but most need more space than you think, hence my 1mm above stem for 5mm spacer suggestion.
  • Some manufacturers (e.g. Scott) require a 5mm spacer between the headset and stem. Worth checking.
  • Thanks everyone. The bike is a CAAD10 and I'll certainly talk to the shop about it before cracking on.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,715
    It makes sense to me to have a thin spacer above the stem. That way the whole of the stem is gripping the steerer and there is room for the top cap inside the spacer as 964 says.