Aldi cheapie stuff today (Thurs)

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
Lots of stock in sunny Aylesbury store just now...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Those looks very much like Moon bike lights
  • secretsam
    Those looks very much like Moon bike lights

I looked at them in the shop, they seemed to be battery rather than USB - but I agree, they look like Moon units - the rear looks just like mine, in fact! But if they put out the kind of eye-searing light that real Moon ones do, the batteries will die in about an hour! :shock:

• On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    Says USB on the website, also states that a charge cable is included?
  • Says USB on the website, also states that a charge cable is included?
    Ignore, I'm an idiot
  • Did it look like the rear had saddle rail mounts like the moon?
    The pic online looks suspiciously like it does!
  • The rear light has a saddle mount and rubber band attachment for seat posts.
  • It looks exactly like the Moon Comet. Not bad for 8.99
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    I've just plugged mine in to charge it up and can confirm it is indeed eye-searingly bright. Only picked up a rear light but may return for a front too. Also picked up a rain jacket for commuting duties, for £19.99 i am not expecting miracles, but it has some open vents on the back and zipped ones down the side so likely to be as "breathable" as anything shy of 50 quid from a bike specific brand.

Plenty of everything available in the Gilmerton store in Edinburgh as of midday today. Lobster gloves looked pretty good, but already have far too many pairs of gloves to justify them, even for that price.
  • Was in a Northampton store this am, plenty of stuff. Have bought from them for the past ten years or so, each year the quality has improved yet the prices remain low. The lary colours and odd shapes/sizes have gone, socks, gloves, undies, etc. are so useful for someone as stingey about cycling stuff.
    The same applies to Lidl.
    'fool'
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I got a merino wool base layer from there this morning, I'm taking it back, the fit is horrible. Sleeves are too short and the body is too loose I expected it to be figure hugging? I can't get the next size down as the sleeves will be even shorter.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Called in on my way home to a new store that had opened on my route home. Wandered around and NO cycling offers. Saw a manager and asked where it was

Manager "No Sir - we don't have any cycling promotions"
    imatfaal " Tch. Is it just some stores? Will you be doing one later"
    Manager "To best of my knowledge none of our stores are doing one today"
    (getting out trusty smartphone and finding this thread)
    imatfaal "Look - here you go ...."
    Manager "Yeah - this is Lidl Sir; not Aldi"
    imatfaal "Oh ... sorry"
    (hole opens up and swallows me to save my embarrasment)
  • Called in on my way home to a new store that had opened on my route home. Wandered around and NO cycling offers. Saw a manager and asked where it was

Manager "No Sir - we don't have any cycling promotions"
    imatfaal " Tch. Is it just some stores? Will you be doing one later"
    Manager "To best of my knowledge none of our stores are doing one today"
    (getting out trusty smartphone and finding this thread)
    imatfaal "Look - here you go ...."
    Manager "Yeah - this is Lidl Sir; not Aldi"
    imatfaal "Oh ... sorry"
    (hole opens up and swallows me to save my embarrasment)

Whoops!

I managed to cycle to my local one this morning and grab a bunch of stuff, only to have forgotten my wallet.
    By the time I had got back after work, all the stuff I wanted ( merino base layer & winter jackets) had gone in my size!
    Fuming.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've just plugged mine in to charge it up and can confirm it is indeed eye-searingly bright. Only picked up a rear light but may return for a front too.

Other way around for me. Mine only had front lights left, so I bought two. The thinking is that I can tint the lens red on one of them and convert it into a rear light.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Stopped in this evening, was only interested in the faux Moon lights. That was all they didn't have...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • secretsam
    So-o-o-o-o tempted to pop back and get a "cheap" Garmin...and then buy HRM and Cadence sensors...so even less "cheap"...

• Popped back in today in case merino, performance winter jacket, or bibs tights been returned in XL - found the winter jacket, but XL in the performance jacket was almost a size smaller than the non-performance winter jacket, very annoying :(

Grabbed some leg warmers as interims for the bibs, but just opened them to find that someone had put L legwarmers in a XL pack.

But did grab 2 of the premium style lights in white though, with the intention of cellulosing one with red.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Called by this morning, having forgotten all about it yesterday. Picked up the Pro Jersey and Jacket the last of each in size large. Jersey is much warmer than two year's ago (which I was wearing this morning). Jacket looks good and windproof, the only thing that was lacking from the previous one.

Quite pleased.
  • So-o-o-o-o tempted to pop back and get a "cheap" Garmin...and then buy HRM and Cadence sensors...so even less "cheap"...

Apparently all sold within 30 mins at the Manchester Arndale branch. No Moon lights either. :(
  • sswiss
    sswiss Posts: 354
    Stopped in this evening, was only interested in the faux Moon lights. That was all they didn't have...

Same here, but also all gone in Cambridge!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I had a look in my local aldi today, whoever they design their sizing on is very much not my size or shape!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Does anyone know if the moon style lights are compatible with official moon comet mounts? I'm looking at an official moon rail mount and curious, as it would allow me to attach the aldi version above my top bag.

Ta!
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    Does anyone know if the moon style lights are compatible with official moon comet mounts? I'm looking at an official moon rail mount and curious, as it would allow me to attach the aldi version above my top bag.

Ta!

If they are similar to the moon ones planet x used to sell under the areo brand, then no they are not.
    The moon shield I have has a square 1/2" block (so you can actually position it horizontally or vertically). The areo one had more of a clip that only slotted in one way as it was rectangular and a different size.
    I have a rail mount for the moon - its great. The areo does not fit in it.

Mike
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • wolfsbane2k

Ta!

If they are similar to the moon ones planet x used to sell under the areo brand, then no they are not.
    The moon shield I have has a square 1/2" block (so you can actually position it horizontally or vertically). The areo one had more of a clip that only slotted in one way as it was rectangular and a different size.
    I have a rail mount for the moon - its great. The areo does not fit in it.

Mike

Thanks for that. the aldi equivs have a 17mm square at the back, so approx. 11/16ths, rather than a 1/2 :(
    Might be able to grab the moon saddle mount and change the mount over at the screw joint with the post mount.

For 3.99 for the mount, it's tempting - now, do leisure lakes bikes have it in stock to use that free fiver voucher...
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    Ok, I've measured properly... 17mm might be bang on!

I'd take a punt.. I love the seat rail mount for the moon. Keeps it solid in place, its great on alternative bikes (ie anything with aero seatpost) and sits that bit higher so I think is more effective.

Mike
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • wolfsbane2k

I'd take a punt.. I love the seat rail mount for the moon. Keeps it solid in place, its great on alternative bikes (ie anything with aero seatpost) and sits that bit higher so I think is more effective.

Mike

Perfect Mike, thanks for that! I've ordered one to give it a go. I've got lidl seat bag that doesn't have a light hook, and I think I can squeeze this in between - here's hoping!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652

Mike

Perfect Mike, thanks for that! I've ordered one to give it a go. I've got lidl seat bag that doesn't have a light hook, and I think I can squeeze this in between - here's hoping!

Awaiting your feedback with interest.
  • wolfsbane2k

Mike

Awaiting your feedback with interest.

Sorry, old post that I never responded to, despite promises! Anwyay: I can confirm that the Moon Comet Seat rail mount fits the ALDI comet equiviliant and the ALDI version of the cateye LD610 as well. It's a tight fit, looks like the moon comet mount square might be every so slightly smaller ( 1/2 mm? ) but that means it's a really good, solid fit.
    So for 3.99 delivered, not a bad shout.

Main reason I didn't respond was I swore lots when the mount turned up because I couldn't mount where I wanted it, it's only "just" wide enough to fit where the seat rails are parallel - the moment the rails diverge to the rear of the seat, the mounts slips through. I either need to slim down the seat bag mount, or extend the comet rail mount :(
  • wolfsbane2k
    Dang nab it.
    Worn my winter jacket for 7 days, thrown it in the bin today due to being torn to shreds with a wipeout.
    Now to find a replacement for similar money :-(
  • Dang nab it.
    Worn my winter jacket for 7 days, thrown it in the bin today due to being torn to shreds with a wipeout.

Decathlon maybe? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-warm-cycling-jacket-blue-id_8343079.html
    Probably a tad more money than the Aldi one but looks good
  • wolfsbane2k
    Dang nab it.

Decathlon maybe? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-warm-cycling-jacket-blue-id_8343079.html
    Probably a tad more money than the Aldi one but looks good

Yes, I was looking at decathlon for an alternative. The 500 does look good, tempted with the 520 for the added breathability, but both are slim fit. Might have To go for the more relaxed 300 as ionly ride for Max an hour each way anyway, after all, itcant remain this cold for long can it?