Lisa Brennauer Superman??

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited September 2015 in Pro race
Just looking at the womens TT and this is so close to the old superman position. Not sure on the regs but this ain't far off. Except for her recent ride she's hardly lost of TT. Hmm...

489583330-lisa-brennauer-of-germany-in-action-during-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXlV4j%2B2pKKbw6pRYELaofBZXCK3L4AF63rXdRMzbnn21KWVY8%2BvD9bSA8URlD9M4Vg%3D%3D
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I'd be interested to see the pictures you're refering to because this doesn't look very superman like.
    I know the regs changed last yearto help smaller people (so more of the women) but the are pretty tightly policed.

brennauer.jpg
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Obree's superman position for reference

obree.jpg
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    no cape

clear fail
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Yeah, everything is checked on a jig. There was an amateur woman at last year's Nationals in tears after her bike failed presumably as she'd always ridden CTT races previously. She eventually got sorted out and had a huge cheer when she started (late).
  • Charlotte Becker wasnt allowed to start the TTT because her bars were 1mm out, so if there was anything up with Brennauers position im sure they would pick up on it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Edit: Omar beat me to it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I see what he means.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Y'all's have no idea what a superman position looks like if you think Lisa is even close... She is well within the rules. In fact, her position isn't a million miles away from mine, which means it's fast.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Charlotte Becker wasnt allowed to start the TTT because her bars were 1mm out, so if there was anything up with Brennauers position im sure they would pick up on it.

which is fine, except Charlotte had ridden the same bike in the same setup multiple times this year and the UCI had passed it everytime till now.

but Brennauers isnt anywhere near the superman position.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    I see what he means.

That's just an odd angle. Her arms are angled inwards to the bars and it's making them look like they are stretched further forward than they actually are. Even with optical illusion it's nowhere near as extreme as Obree's banned position.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Charlotte Becker wasnt allowed to start the TTT because her bars were 1mm out, so if there was anything up with Brennauers position im sure they would pick up on it.

which is fine, except Charlotte had ridden the same bike in the same setup multiple times this year and the UCI had passed it everytime till now.

I have ridden the same bike in the same setup at multiple UCI events also**. Only to turn up at the World Championships to be told it is not legal. Why? Because they don't check bikes carefully enough at other events - or let things like 1mm out pass.

At the World's it's often a different story and things are checked much more stringently.

The real issue here isn't that the bike was illegal at the World's. It's that it was legal at all the other events.

(**For instance, I've ridden the same saddle position all year at multiple UCI World Cups/races. At the World Champs it was deemed to be 1/2 degree off in angle so I had to change it.)
  • Pokerface
    I see what he means.

That's just an odd angle. Her arms are angled inwards to the bars and it's making them look like they are stretched further forward than they actually are. Even with optical illusion it's nowhere near as extreme as Obree's banned position.

AFAIK, the Superman position itself is not banned. But it's hard to achieve any more due to the regulations regarding the length of extensions. But for a shorter rider (e.g. a woman), it's easier to get stretched out than a taller rider. Any rider can have their extensions 80cm long (from the centre of the BB). So if you're shorter - you'll be more stretched out getting your hands to the ends of them.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    AFAIK, the Superman position itself is not banned. But it's hard to achieve any more due to the regulations regarding the length of extensions. But for a shorter rider (e.g. a woman), it's easier to get stretched out than a taller rider. Any rider can have their extensions 80cm long (from the centre of the BB). So if you're shorter - you'll be more stretched out getting your hands to the ends of them.

I know very little about the UCI rules when it comes to TT bike setups, but if 800mm is the maximum allowable distance, for BB centre to extension end, then Lisa Brennaur - based on the photo shared above - is pushing that all the way. Which she is of course entitled to do.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    There isn't a single time triallist beholden to UCI rules that isn't pushing the maximum length. Longer = faster
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Pokerface

I know very little about the UCI rules when it comes to TT bike setups, but if 800mm is the maximum allowable distance, for BB centre to extension end, then Lisa Brennaur - based on the photo shared above - is pushing that all the way. Which she is of course entitled to do.

I doubt it. In fact, I'd be surprised if she's past 75cm. It's a super-small frame so it looks like the extensions are far out in front, but no further forward than mine. And I have a significantly larger version of the same frame.

She'd be more likely to have her saddle further forward than the 5cm rule - which would limit her extensions to 75cm. If she has it 5cm behind the BB, then the extensions could be a maximum of 80cm forward.