Tell me about one-piece race suits.

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been looking at upgrading some of my kit and I came across a number of good quality one-piece suits in the sales which got me thinking. I've used them for triathlon in the past, but never really considered such a thing for cycling. It seems like a much neater and simpler solution than a bib-jersey combo, so what are the downsides?

The only thing that I can see is possibly the loss of versatility that a 2-piece combo offers (e.g. normal vs thermo jersey) and a bit more difficulty peeing. If I can find one with a good fit then what else might there be to stop me going for a one-piece suit?

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I've been looking at upgrading some of my kit and I came across a number of good quality one-piece suits in the sales which got me thinking. I've used them for triathlon in the past, but never really considered such a thing for cycling. It seems like a much neater and simpler solution than a bib-jersey combo, so what are the downsides?

The only thing that I can see is possibly the loss of versatility that a 2-piece combo offers (e.g. normal vs thermo jersey) and a bit more difficulty peeing. If I can find one with a good fit then what else might there be to stop me going for a one-piece suit?

Just for general cycling or for racing?
  • Both.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Lack of pockets to put things in?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't know why you'd want one for general riding. And if you're racing - yeah you could use your club skinsuit ?

Pockets and versatility are better for general riding - and especially if you need the loo.
  • Supremely comfortable without having bib straps to worry about. No problem with riding all day in one, I've done a few full days in the Rapha aerosuit. They don't hold you in like a set of shorts do so you need to be reasonably svelte to wear one.