On Disc wheels

bontie
bontie Posts: 177
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
So, I am in the process of jumping ship to the disc brake camp.
I may be wrong but it seems wheel availability is not quite there yet. I am a massive fan of Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels. What are the early adopters riding?

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    So, I am in the process of jumping ship to the disc brake camp.
    I may be wrong but it seems wheel availability is not quite there yet. I am a massive fan of Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels. What are the early adopters riding?

A lot depends on your budget.

At the lower end of the factory built offerings you could opt for the Mavic Aksium One Discs or the Fulcrum Racing Sport DB. A bit higher up the price ladder you will find some wheelbuilders offering standards builds from stock such as the Hunt 4 Seasons Disc and the JRA Jawbone Lite Disc. Both of these latter wheesets came out best in a review of disc wheels in the current issue of Cycling+

Another builder who can offer wheels effectively from stock is Moonglu

http://www.moonglu.com/collections/road-disc-wheels

I have a set of their Archetypes with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and find them to be excellent.

However if you want to spec some more "Rolls Royce" build then the sky's the limit really
  • I might be wrong, but i am shocked at how many brands are putting out high priced carbon with 20 spokes on the front (Easton 20 spokes 2 cross / DT 20 spokes radial)

Handbuilt are pretty much the best bet, and in many ways best value, if you want something decent quality.

Those JRA Jawbone Lite Disc look like rebranded Novatech 711/712D

Novatech 711/712D/D-Light/Pacenti SL25 is a great option.

Check PMs
  • So, I am in the process of jumping ship to the disc brake camp.
    I ride Enve SES 3.4 Disc hand built.

For Fulcrum, maybe you could check out this...
    2016_Racing_Quattro_Carbon_DB_rim_closeup_mask.jpg?resize=720%2C560

Quattro-spec-2016.jpg?resize=720%2C517

Take a look on the spec table. The lacing is quite interesting: front and rear wheels are both 21 spokes 2-to-1 lacing. Also, 40 x 24.2mm profile at 1605g is quite respectably light. Don’t forget that rim tape is not required as the rim bed is fully sealed. Unfortunately, that doesn’t translate to tubeless approved rim.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • I use vision metron 40 wheels. Iv'e got metron 81's too and really rate the build quality. No issues at all.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Cheers for the replies, the Fulcrums look interesting!
    It seems there are no Zondas in the Disc brake world (yet)

Hmmmmm