power2max - recommendable to buy?

zeta
zeta Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Ciao,

can anybone tell me how his/her experience with power2max is? I have seen on FB, they have recently dropped the prices, so I am considering to buy the Type S power meter. However, still not sure whether I should or not, as I don't know anyone using power2max and I don't really check which one I needed to buy. My bike is a Giant TCR Advanced.
Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I've had/have 3. No complaints and will buy again at some point.

Best one for your bike is the Rotor 3D model (standard with 24mm spindle).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I've currently got two of the 'classic' ones on Rotor 3D+ and 3DF cranks and they've been faultless - I think I've used one battery in well over a year of use (they use a specific make and model so worth stocking up - not expensive but easier to get online) and they've been faultless.

If I were to replace them it would be for an 'S' if only to be able to put aero chainrings on the TT bike.
  • Grill
    Aero chainrings work fine with the classic... ;)

11169855_10155506178080541_4230002488359019973_n_zps5czukbce.jpg
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Had one for a few years and it's been great. The only issue I've had is water ingress in the unit thanks to being a little bit over-zealous when washing my bike. It stopped working, but was OK after it dried it out.
  • Aero chainrings work fine with the classic... ;)

11169855_10155506178080541_4230002488359019973_n_zps5czukbce.jpg

Did you leave that one on the radiator for too long, it looks like it might have melted...

Is that a Fibre-Lyte one? What's the longevity like - they always look like they'll last one ride and that's it?
  • Grill
    Yup, Fibre-Lyte. Ridden it all season (25+ TT's from 10 miles to 100) and they still look new. They shift better than Q-Rings as well...
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Been looking at P2M too, certainly seems like a good system and doesn't work out much more expensive than Stages for me as the bike I'd want it fitted on has Force22 which means I only need buy the unit and not the chainset. It does however mean I can't use it on my crit bike due to different BB standards :(
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    my 2 cents.
    its very reliable, very easy to install, and just works. battery life is excellent. i've got one of each of the type s and classic in the rotor 24mm version. if i had more bikes, i'd buy them again. :D

one other thing, i ride with loads of people that race and they are not a PM that polarises opinion. clubmates and folk i ride with use stages (most have returned at least once --- rubbish), Vectors ( generally, massivley unreliable, i know 7 people with them and 5 have had serious issues) quark (solid) and one has a pioneer! and quite a few use powertap (reliable).
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yep got a Type S on Rotor 3D 24 cranks with Aero Q rings. Bought on the recommendation of Grill. A doddle to fit to the Rotor cranks and no set up problems whatsoever. Instantly recognised by the Garmin device and by the PC when used with the Tack trainer. Contact with the manufacturers is quick.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Minor thread hijack but been looking at getting a PM and think P2M are a good balance of performance and cost.

Would want to swap between my 2 bikes (Scott team hmx 2013 and Felt f55 2007) both have ultegra compact cranksets (6800 11 speed and 6700 10 speed respectively). Am I correct in thinking that the rotor 3d24 (24mm) would work without needing any bb adaptors/alterations? Gather there should be no issues regarding 10 v 11 speed and praxis chai rings seem well regarded.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Grill
    Yup, direct swap.
  • zeta
    zeta Posts: 3
    Ciao,

thanks for all your replies. I quite confident to get the Type S model now. I have also alreday contacted their support and you are right, they are pretty quick. Only the question left, will I be able to do the assembling myself or shall I rather go to a bike shop? What did you do?
  • Very simple, def do it yourself
  • The toughest bit about fitting the P2M to the Rotor chainsets was getting the original spider off the cranks - eventually resorted to a hot air gun / paintstripper thing to soften the threadlock and the bigger spanner I could find to shift it.

Once that was off it was dead easy to fit the P2M spider and refit the cranks the chainrings.
  • StillGoing
    If you've got a bench vice to hand, it is all you need for disassembly and assembly. Put the locking socket in the vice, engage the crank and undo. Do the reverse for assembly. I wouldn't worry too much about torque values as you'll be using some locking agent and give it reasonable beans to tighten.
  • devildawg
    devildawg Posts: 10
    Don't touch P2M; their product is OK until it breaks (less than 1 year of use for mine) and then they will claim it is your fault and not repair or replace it under warranty. Stick to trusted brands with global presence - I have now got a Quarq, because for me SRAM value customers whereas mail order cowboys like P2M don't do after sales service, or warranty obligations.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    devildawg wrote:
    Don't touch P2M; their product is OK until it breaks (less than 1 year of use for mine) and then they will claim it is your fault and not repair or replace it under warranty. Stick to trusted brands with global presence - I have now got a Quarq, because for me SRAM value customers whereas mail order cowboys like P2M don't do after sales service, or warranty obligations.

So you thought you'd make your point by spamming every thread on the forum (no matter how old) where P2M is mentioned....
  • lambpie
    lambpie Posts: 25
    Imposter wrote:
    devildawg wrote:

So you thought you'd make your point by spamming every thread on the forum (no matter how old) where P2M is mentioned....

Both I and a friend have had our P2Ms for over 2 years, ridden many miles in all weathers and never a beat missed. Everyone has different experiences but don't pretend that your experience is the norm! Judging by what I read you look to be in the minority as (unusually) most posts about P2M are positive. Sad that you have had a bad experience and you should share that, but don't denigrate a good product by asserting it must be the norm.

P.S. I think P2M are pretty global now....
  • StillGoing
    devildawg wrote:

I agree with P2M that the only way your spider could come loose is if you as the assembler didn't secure the locking ring properly. Trying to blame someone else for your error is bad form.
  • Grill
    devildawg wrote:

Yes they do, just look at the P2M thread on Slowtwitch. Don't blame your mistakes on the product, be a grown-up and take responsibility.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789

Well I just 'upgraded' my 3 and 1/2 year old (fully functioning) P2M to a Type S using their crash replacement option for a very reasonable price so my experience of P2M support is very different to yours. They're definitely not cowboys, but obviously they know when someone's trying it on.....
    More problems but still living....