When Do You Actually Need A New Bike

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm in the market for a new "best" bike but like most of us I think I want a new one rather than need a new one. I have put over 20,000 km on the current bike in 4 years but I still like to ride it so there's no obvious need for a new one. It's been crashed a couple of times but the frame held up and there are a few rattles and creaks but I could easily strip it down over the Winter and replace anything which needed it and the cost of any parts needed would be nowhere near the cost of the replacement bikes I'm looking at. Is there ever an obvious trigger to replace a bike other than the economics of replacing broken bits vs. the cost of new or apparent frame damage.

FD

Comments

• bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#12

:-)

We all always want another bike.. Only you can answer if you actually need one or if you do actually just want one.. The rules however tell me to tell you to buy another bike. Immediately :-)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Its a circular argument, if we were sensible only buying what we truly needed the world would be a much duller place. As i say to my better half, I don't drink much, don't shag around or smoke and my only personal indulgence is cycling which isn't too bad.

If that doesn't convince you then please carry on reading...

If your username for the forum is your nature I would politely suggest that you have adequately stress tested your existing frame and replacment is therefor essential prior to a catastrophic failure.

What price your health?

Enjoy the process of choosing and test rides and get it bought.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • fatdaz
    The username is 25kg ago but I like to keep it (and various fatdaz email addresses and usernames) as a reminder of what can happen. That said I rode the current bike at 110kg for the first 2 years. It's things like stress on the frame that I was asking about - do carbon frames weaken with time and use?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    The username is 25kg ago but I like to keep it (and various fatdaz email addresses and usernames) as a reminder of what can happen. That said I rode the current bike at 110kg for the first 2 years. It's things like stress on the frame that I was asking about - do carbon frames weaken with time and use?

You've kicked it off now. Search the forum for carbon frames and their perceived longevity......

As long as you were in the weight range for the frame then I wouldn't worry unduly and carbon frames don't weaken over the period you have described.

My road bike is heading for its third winter and while Ive mulled over a new bike the Roubaix is so good at everything the sum of cost v benefit of a new bike doesn't work out. Even using man maths. Its quick, comfortable and the standard parts are robust and functional. The running kit is still in good order and even though i ride through the winter a good maintenance regime takes care of most eventualities. Rather than new wheels I'll probably head off for some winter sun and miles.....as that is what its really about, smiles per mile. IMHO.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    edited September 2015
    My race bike has a carbon frame and is now 8 years old with no issues or worries. I still think it's a fantastic bike and can't see any reason to retire it. Nothing for you to worry about - plenty of well used older bikes out there (my oldest aluminium bike still gets used and is about 20 years old now!). Having some older bikes doesn't stop me getting the occasional new one when the urge comes though :)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    By a startling coincidence, the moment you decide that you'd rather like a new bike you desperately need one.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    So hang on, just to be absolutely clear, you do already have other bikes right? We're talking about a new best bike?

Well, the time that you need a new one is when you actually break the old one. Still, given you're talking about stripping it down anyway, perhaps it's worth buying a new groupset and transferring the old one onto eg your winter bike? Or perhaps some new wheels, keeping the old ones as spares?

That'll certainly freshen up your ride without necessarily costing as much as a new bike...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You only ever need a new bike if it's your only means of transport and it's suddenly stolen or destroyed in an accident.

Wanting another bike is an entirely different thing...

I started out very sensibly. Thought I'd only ever be able to justify buying one bike, knew I'd want to ride it in all weathers, so went for a winter trainer with clearance / mounts for proper mudguards (Racelight Tk). For 6 years I was happy with my purchase, and I did indeed ride it all year round. Some years the mudguards would even come off in the summer...and then it would be annoying if the weather turned wet again.
    So when the outgoing CR1-SL framesets appeared for £500 I suddenly had to have one so I could then have a best bike and a dedicated wet weather bike.

So that's me sorted and I definitely don't need any more bikes...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    You need a new bike on any day with a "y" in it :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    As soon as you can afford another ?
  • fatdaz
    Thanks for all the responses. Seems I'm pretty much where I thought I was, i.e there's no reason to get a new one other than the fact that I want one. I'll have a think.

Cheers
  • I've had my bike three years, still really like it, and I'm not feeling any inclination to get another one.

Is there something wrong with me?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I've had my bike three years, still really like it, and I'm not feeling any inclination to get another one.

Is there something wrong with me?

Clearly you are too fit! It's always easier to justify a new bike when the gongs stop appearing on strava...!

Peter
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Usually either when you've paid off the C2W scheme purchase or if you are more reserved when you get the email from C2W stating that the bike is now 100% yours........

I am currently between these two stages on my Lynskey but my old GT MTB is looking a tad tired and the C2W scheme opens again in December.....