Forgotten nouns

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited October 2015 in The bottom bracket
I was asked today what the name of the machine I swipe my card through for payment was in English.

Bob? Freda? Eu não seis! ( the wobbly line over the 'a' is called a tilde)

Wotsit, thingy-ma-jig called?

Also...

The bit on the end of a shoe lace?

The bits of wood between panes of glass in a window.

The bottom of a wine bottle dimple thingy?

The non-gender-specific term for a niece or nephew?
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I was asked today what the name of the machine I swipe my card through for payment was in English.

Also...

Aglet
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545

Also...

card machine is the common one in english, also chip & pin machine, there's no standard term, just a descriptive phrase

aglet (as mentioned by m'colleague above)

muntin

punt

nibling, among others, afaik all are recent, i'd like to propose nearspawn
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Minge.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • team47b
    Thanks sungod.

How about the word for the pea sized amount of toothpaste applied to a toothbrush?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Goatse, definitely.
  • I was asked today what the name of the machine I swipe my card through for payment was in English.

They do have a name, and that is EPOS machines, for electronic point of sale.
  • team47b
    Goatse, definitely.

Falling for that one, not! :D

The blob of toothpaste is called a nurdle.
  • sungod

nope, epos is the modern version of ye olde cash register/till/etc.

the card machine is an add-on device to add the card payment capability, it doesn't itemise and record sales data etc., only a total value(often sent to it by the epos) for which it does the management of the card transaction, typically online to the payment processor but offline and intermediate systems also exist, these days most also incorporate the security to manage the chip & pin verification

some epos systems support an integrated card machine, but with chip & pin it's much more typical for it to be a separate device due to the security requirements and the way payment processing tends to be done
  • team47b
    sungod wrote:
    gingaman[/url]"]
    team47b[/url]"]I was asked today what the name of the machine I swipe my card through for payment was in English.

the card machine is an add-on device to add the card payment capability, it doesn't itemise and record sales data etc., only a total value(often sent to it by the epos) for which it does the management of the card transaction, typically online to the payment processor but offline and intermediate systems also exist, these days most also incorporate the security to manage the chip & pin verification

So I told the Portuguese person who asked the original question that you said the name in English is...

a máquina de cartão é um dispositivo add-on para adicionar a capacidade de pagamento por cartão , não enumerar e dados de vendas recordes etc. , apenas um valor de total ( muitas vezes enviados a ele pela EPOS ) para que ele faz a gestão do cartão transação, normalmente on-line para o processador de pagamento , mas offline e sistemas intermediários também existem, nos dias de hoje a maioria também incorporar a segurança para gerenciar o chip e pin verificação

:D
  • sungod
    o quê?
  • team47b
    Decided on...é uma coisa.

It is a thing :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,340
    Let me see... 'wif'. How's about that?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    The credit card machine is properly called a "Payment Card Terminal". Lots of people refer to them as PDQ machines, a backronym for "process data quickly" from the obvious original meaning of "pretty damn quick".

I'll get my coat.
  • pinno
    Would that be an overcoat or a rain jacket or a smoking jacket or a sou'wester or a blazer?
  • A pea sized amount of toothpaste applied to a toothbrush? Smidgen, modicum, aliquot, tad.
  • pinno
    Hello T and W. Wheredafookaveyoobin?

Think of the stuff you've missed :roll: