Waterproof Jacket with extra long sleeves

wahla21
wahla21 Posts: 96
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am a fairly tall guy @ 6.5 with long arms and slim build.

I always struggle with long sleeve clothing on the bike as the arms always come up short.

I am after a waterproof jacket to use for my commute and also on rainy days on weekend rides.
I've looked at a few different ones, the Altura Night Vision was an option but it was too short in the sleeves.
I've also looked at the Gore Power Gore-Tex jacket and it looks to be ok but I don't want to spend £150 on a jacket that doesn't fit.

Any other ideas?
Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Check out this months C+, I skimmed the jacket reviews last night and recall one have longer than average sleeves.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Montane Velo H20. Sleeves come up really long on me. Good jacket too as far as pac-a-macs go.
  • Thanks guys.
  • I would definitely recommend the Gore Power GT AS Jacket. If not, then the Gore Element GT AS Jacket :)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Gore are a pretty good bet, as are Poc.

Just buy something from someone with free returns via collect plus, like wiggle, then you can try it on. Or, of course, go try some on in a shop.

No one is really going to know but you when you try them on.
  • Thanks!

The Galibier certainly looks good. Although Road.CC said in their review the arms on the Tourmalet jacket comes up a bit short.... :(
  • Ive just received my Galibier Tourmalet this afternoon - according to the site I would have been a medium, but after a quick email, it was agreed large was better, especially considering it will be worn with a jersey underneath.
    If you have any concerns I would definitely email - they were more than helpful.

Ive briefly popped it on and it fits really well - its a fantastic looking jacket and the fit is superb.
    I also got a mistral jacket and some overshoes - I will report back once I've tried everything out more thoroughly (won't take long judging by the weather!).

I will say service was superb - emails answered within an hour, even after business hours - and delivery within 2 days of ordering. All looking good so far - and the prices are low - I've managed to get 2 quality garments for the same price as I was going to pay for a Gabba....but as I say, I will update once I get a few rides with the stuff on.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Ive just received my Galibier Tourmalet this afternoon - according to the site I would have been a medium, but after a quick email, it was agreed large was better, especially considering it will be worn with a jersey underneath.
    If you have any concerns I would definitely email - they were more than helpful.

Ive briefly popped it on and it fits really well - its a fantastic looking jacket and the fit is superb.
    I also got a mistral jacket and some overshoes - I will report back once I've tried everything out more thoroughly (won't take long judging by the weather!).

I will say service was superb - emails answered within an hour, even after business hours - and delivery within 2 days of ordering. All looking good so far - and the prices are low - I've managed to get 2 quality garments for the same price as I was going to pay for a Gabba....but as I say, I will update once I get a few rides with the stuff on.

All well and good but does it have extra long sleeves?
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Ive just received my Galibier Tourmalet this afternoon - according to the site I would have been a medium, but after a quick email, it was agreed large was better, especially considering it will be worn with a jersey underneath.

All well and good but does it have extra long sleeves?

First rule of taking exams, always read the question properly!

I'm of similar build and I've an Endura Equipe Power Thermo jacket and Endura Windchill in xxl which fits, also an Endura Helium jacket which is huge compared and too big, an xl would properly fit as the sleeves are so long. Endura sizing is all over the place and the Jetstream jacket is tiny with short sleeves.
  • Cheers.
    I've got a jetsream and agreed, short sleeves!
    You reckon the Helium has extra long sleeves?

Might be worth having a look at it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am 6ft7 with a longer body and find gore jackets fit well with long enough sleeves. Another thing to think of is gloves with longer cuffs as they help keep out the cold even if the jacket arms are a little short.

There are some second hand bargains if you look around.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    The Altura Varium has very long sleeves, I have to turn mine up about 3inches to shorthen them for my arms which are actually quite long.