Not over taking etiquette?

Snakebite the 2nd
Snakebite the 2nd Posts: 452
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
How does the etiquette of not over taking a fellow commuter work?

If I see a fellow in the distance I am able, on occasions, to catch them up. However I am not always able to over take them straight away, if at all.
Now this is usually down to the fact that I have blown up.

Now, rather than just tuck in close I try to leave a bit of a gap, partly because it's safer, but partly because I don't want them to think I'm not taking a turn up front. The mind can be willing, but the flesh is weak!

Also, if I am completely honest, it's the chasing down I enjoy rather than the scalping.......

Comments

• How does the etiquette of not over taking a fellow commuter work?

If I see a fellow in the distance I am able, on occasions, to catch them up. However I am not always able to over take them straight away, if at all.
    Now this is usually down to the fact that I have blown up.

Now, rather than just tuck in close I try to leave a bit of a gap, partly because it's safer, but partly because I don't want them to think I'm not taking a turn up front. The mind can be willing, but the flesh is weak!

Also, if I am completely honest, it's the chasing down I enjoy rather than the scalping.......

I got no problem with that, though you might wanna leave a big enough gap so as not to make them think you're drafting properly (can be deceiving when you only have a quick glance behind).

I've done the same
  • Agreed, I try not to let them think I'm drafting.

To be honest I don't think anyone really has much idea down here in the sticks, I'm probably overthinking it again!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    SCR thread was created for this very topic, its an interesting debate
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Hang on. You can not overtake?!

This new thinking fascinates me.
  • SCR thread was created for this very topic, its an interesting debate

SCR?

I have to ask, I was hoping to work it out eventually but can't.

Although I think I have the "S" bit, is it Scalp?
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    Silly Commuter Racing
  • the last 5 miles of my commute are in the sticks with rolling hills and not many cyclists. I find that even if you have over-exerted to catch somebody then it does not take long drafting to pull yourself together. Then you should pass and give them the choice of taking a tow or blast back past. Into a strong headwind I have had some great sessions with total strangers.
  • Silly Commuter Racing

And now I feel completely stupid. :oops:

Thanks for the info!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    quite frankly - out in the sticks it's rare to see another cyclist on the commute - so I'm always happy - and found others to be happy - to ride together - whether one does the pulling or it's shared it doesn't matter - so long as you say "hi" at the beginning and "bye" at the end ... oh and "thanks" if you've just been towed 5 miles ... ;)
  • itboffin
    In 8 years only once have I encountered another commuting cyclist not on a BSO going my way, we did indeed share the duties for a couple of miles.

Least I think it happened.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I rarely see a other cyclists, but I have caught up with the same shapely young lady a few times and found it very difficult to get the will power to overtake......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I don't encounter many "proper" cyclists on my commute but there are occasions where i'll be passed by someone or manage to catch, whose wheel i am then able to hold.

I often shout ahead to say that I probably can't offer much by way of assistance at their speed, but that if they don't mind i'll sit in behind them and take a tow. They are usually quite pleased with the compliment, and happy to have a bit of company.
  • And if you do overtake, don't swing straight across as some twat did this morning.
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,737
    I do not understand the concept.

Either pass or don't waste your energy catching them.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    If you don't think you can make the pass stick, just rub your front wheel on their rear wheel a few times until they speed up.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Walls82
    Walls82 Posts: 126
    My pet hate is when you catch someone and overtake and they immediately overtake you back and slow down.

You then have three choices, plod along going slower than you would like, play a tedious game of leap frog or sprint away from them(and risk them taking this as a challenge) and put enough distance to go at normal speed again.
  • itboffin
    Crush them allllllll
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,737
    My pet hate is when you catch someone and overtake and they immediately overtake you back and slow down.

You then have three choices, plod along going slower than you would like, play a tedious game of leap frog or sprint away from them(and risk them taking this as a challenge) and put enough distance to go at normal speed again.
    So. There is only one real option then.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    What drives me mad is when you overtake some nodder, then come to a red light. You stop properly; they sail across the line and stop, in front of you, at some random point. When the light changes, you have to manoeuvre around them all over again. Rinse and repeat until there's finally a long enough section between lights that you can drop them properly. I sort of don't mind if they actually run the red, because then when I (inevitably) catch them up, I can do the smug tut-and-a-headshake routine. But this pointless shoving back in front thing has to stop.
  • What drives me mad is when you overtake some nodder, then come to a red light. You stop properly; they sail across the line and stop, in front of you, at some random point. When the light changes, you have to manoeuvre around them all over again. Rinse and repeat until there's finally a long enough section between lights that you can drop them properly. I sort of don't mind if they actually run the red, because then when I (inevitably) catch them up, I can do the smug tut-and-a-headshake routine. But this pointless shoving back in front thing has to stop.

You love riding in Amsterdam then - this happens all the time: somebody on an old clunker of a granny bike pushing past everybody at the stop light then setting off at snail's pace whilst everybody else has to filter around them.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • What drives me mad is when you overtake some nodder, then come to a red light. You stop properly; they sail across the line and stop, in front of you, at some random point. When the light changes, you have to manoeuvre around them all over again. Rinse and repeat until there's finally a long enough section between lights that you can drop them properly. I sort of don't mind if they actually run the red, because then when I (inevitably) catch them up, I can do the smug tut-and-a-headshake routine. But this pointless shoving back in front thing has to stop.

I understood all of that except "red light". Not sure about that concept... could you explain?

(edit: Oh, wait looked it up.. Traffic Lights. Oh yeah. Don't have them ;) )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    What drives me mad is when you overtake some nodder, then come to a red light. You stop properly; they sail across the line and stop, in front of you, at some random point. When the light changes, you have to manoeuvre around them all over again. Rinse and repeat until there's finally a long enough section between lights that you can drop them properly. I sort of don't mind if they actually run the red, because then when I (inevitably) catch them up, I can do the smug tut-and-a-headshake routine. But this pointless shoving back in front thing has to stop.

I understood all of that except "red light". Not sure about that concept... could you explain?

(edit: Oh, wait looked it up.. Traffic Lights. Oh yeah. Don't have them ;) )

the town at the end of my commute has one of those new fangled colour changing light things, all very modern :lol:
  • My favourite is when you have someone wanting to turn left at the lights but are all the way other to the right, meaning as should as the lights change, they try and turn into a crowd. Or the the horizontal stopper, the one that rocks up to the lights intending to turn left but he needs to be at the front so stops across everyone already waiting, meaning that they are the first to have to move cause know one else can.
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • itboffin
    My favourite is when you have someone wanting to turn left at the lights but are all the way other to the right, meaning as should as the lights change, they try and turn into a crowd. Or the the horizontal stopper, the one that rocks up to the lights intending to turn left but he needs to be at the front so stops across everyone already waiting, meaning that they are the first to have to move cause know one else can.

Yes that :x