Specialized Sirrus as a beginner bike

Chairman Chris
Chairman Chris Posts: 2
edited September 2015 in Commuting general
Hi,

After years of talking about it I'm about to start commuting in central London. After trying a few different brands I think I've settled on the Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc 2015. I was just about to make my purchase when I realised the 2016 model has just come out..... At my (extremely) low skill level is there any material difference in the models? I've compared the two bikes but don't really understand the difference or impact. Does anyone have any views?

As a side note this is a great forum and there is a tremendous amount of information of new cyclists which is really helpful (especially the last beginner post). Thank you so much for all of your help...

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    To be honest sometimes you get a downgrade as parts are speced down rather than up.

Before you buy
    1. try at least two different bikes - the proof is in the riding. Halfords is unfashionable but has some good bikes. Decathlon similarly so.
    2. think about joining british cycling - you get 10pct discounts at a few major retailers and that is easily more than membership if you are buying a bike
    3. Remember to factor in price of lights, helmet, waterproof, saddlebag stuff (puncture repairs), lock, etc. Unless you are really impressed with shop you buy bike at you can save money by buying this stuff online - but do so in advance otherwise you will have new bike and no accessories
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I think I've settled on the Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc 2015
    If it fits and you like it then it's a good choice. Other brands (e.g. Cube) offer better value than Spec, but you'll never buy if you keep looking for something just a little bit better.
    oxoman wrote:
    Seriously consider a road bike as opposed to a hybrid.
    That's a trope on this board. For cycling in London I'd always choose a hybrid for the easy availability of wide tyres, hydraulic disk brakes, full mudguard / rack fittings and a reasonable price*; roadbikes only have drop handlebars, which are pretty much useless in central London.

*Any 'road' bike with all of these is a Cyclocross (CX) bike, which for a one-bike-that-does-it-all is a good choice, too.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Carrera Subway from halfords is worth looking at.
    Halfords are having a sale, too - £550 for the Boardman Hybrid Team is another that looks like good value.