£1300 to spend on first bike

deejaysee
deejaysee Posts: 149
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
So i've narrowed my choice down to two bikes but i'm open to suggestions hence the post.

CAAD12 or the Defy Advance 2 2016

Would the Defy be classed as low grade Carbon?
At the moment i'm swinging towards the Defy, mainly because i'm a massive sucker for black and white frames :lol:

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Wheelbase were doing Cannondale Synapse carbon 105 bikes for a grand. Would leave you with some funds for pedals, shoes etc.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Wheelbase were doing Cannondale Synapse carbon 105 bikes for a grand. Would leave you with some funds for pedals, shoes etc.

+1
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Have funds on top for accessories so the £1300 is purely for bike
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Have funds on top for accessories so the £1300 is purely for bike

OK, so buy the Synapse and a decent set of wheels to go on it

EDIT, ignore that, only tiny size left anyway
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • yeah only 54 frame at that deal.
    I aint no midget
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    54 is hardly tiny! But obviously if it's not your size then it's no good.

The CAAD 12 has more aggressive geometry than the Defy, so depending on what kind of riding you're planning the Defy might be a better bet for a first bike because it has "endurance" geometry (the CAAD is designed for racing). I had a Defy (only an alu one though) as a first bike and no complaints. The CAADs are nice and would be my choice now but I already have 2 bikes with more relaxed geometry so I'd like something a bit more aggressive.

There's loads of other bikes in that price range so there's stacks of alternatives. I think if it was me I would be looking at the Genesis Volare (steel) if I did want the more aggressive geo or the Volant (alu)/Equilibrium (steel) if I wanted the all day type geometry. If I was set on an aluminium race bike like the CAAD then I'd probably get a Kinesis Racelight.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Plenty of other places have the Synapse in bigger sizes and within your budget.
  • 54 is hardly tiny! But obviously if it's not your size then it's no good.

The CAAD 12 has more aggressive geometry than the Defy, so depending on what kind of riding you're planning the Defy might be a better bet for a first bike because it has "endurance" geometry (the CAAD is designed for racing). I had a Defy (only an alu one though) as a first bike and no complaints. The CAADs are nice and would be my choice now but I already have 2 bikes with more relaxed geometry so I'd like something a bit more aggressive.

There's loads of other bikes in that price range so there's stacks of alternatives. I think if it was me I would be looking at the Genesis Volare (steel) if I did want the more aggressive geo or the Volant (alu)/Equilibrium (steel) if I wanted the all day type geometry. If I was set on an aluminium race bike like the CAAD then I'd probably get a Kinesis Racelight.

Thanks mate - just the sort of response i was hoping for.....ie the geometry etc.
    Food for thought
    I aint no midget

:shock: Not sure whether to be offended or not, given I ride 52cm frames!
    I aint no midget

:shock: Not sure whether to be offended or not, given I ride 52cm frames!

Here we go, small person starting a fight again.... :lol:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I'm usually around a 52-54 (at 5'8", so short-ish), it's unusual to see them in sales as they seem to be a common size (sales always seem to have loads of 48s and 60s...). For reference the "medium" Defy is supposed to be equivalent to a 54.

Small frames are 50 or below IMO!

Good deal on that Synapse ;)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Small frames are those that fit 650 wheels ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Whichever you like the best. They are both the same.
    Insert bike here: