Lighter weight bib tights for autumn mornings

ayjaycee
ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Now that the mornings are starting to get a bit cooler (that's a southern 'cooler' that a tough northerner probably wouldn't recognise!), I feel the need for a bit of cover on my legs. I'm not quite ready for the fleecy lined water repellent stuff that I usually wear in the winter and so am looking for recommendations for 'lighter weight' bib tights. At this time of year, I usually wear jogging tights (Ron Hill) over padded bibs and am plenty warm enough but they begin to ride down after a while which gets annoying. They are now nearing replacement time hence I am starting to think about bibs this time around. I'm also thinking that I might get get them without pads and continue to wear my good quality padded bib shorts underneath.

Any suggestions please ? I'm not too keen on 'loud' designs and don't have any upper budget in mind (but don't really want to spend Rapha / Assos / Castelli money). Also how do you think two sets of straps will feel after a few miles?

Thanks in advance.
Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Take a look in decathlon for decent but inexpensive bib tights, last few weeks I've taken to just wearing shorts and leg warmers as it's been cold in the morning but warm for the ride home.
    Other than decathlon, wiggles dhb stuff lasts a while as does the cheap and cheerful aldi kit.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It was somewhat implicit in what Dave said, but you might want to look at Knee/Leg warmers instead of bib tights - they're the halfway house, and easier to take off mid ride if the sun comes out.

You could also consider 3/4 length shorts or bib knickers as they're sometimes called, although these are usually only available padded.

A look in decathlon is a decent idea, although I suspect much of the gear there will be padded - although that shouldn't necessarily put you off as the pads can easily have the stitches unpicked to remove them.
  • Take a look in decathlon for decent but inexpensive bib tights, last few weeks I've taken to just wearing shorts and leg warmers as it's been cold in the morning but warm for the ride home.
    Other than decathlon, wiggles dhb stuff lasts a while as does the cheap and cheerful aldi kit.

+1 I have been doing this for weeks now, it's colder up north, cobblers to that tough northerner guff! I'm also thinking of just doing this over the winter as well, maybe getting another pair of thermal bibshorts or knickers, rather than going with the tights this time. The pads on my current bibs are not great, and I want to continue with the better padding without having to shell out for tights with a decent pad. I have worn this combo on some mornings this autumn when the temperature has been down to 3c, so am presuming it'll see me through most of the winter.

I've never tried the unpadded bibs over bibshorts, but I think this is a worthwhile option as others on here have said that wearing two bibs is not that onerous.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If its just until its cold enough for the winter kit - then yeah leg warmers or knee warmers would be my go to.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    I recently got a pair of Sportful Gruppetto bib tights which seem to be a well made bit of kit with a good quality pad. They are described as being for cool, not arctic conditions. Worth considering if you decide to go for something with a pad rather than a pair to wear over your shorts.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Padded bib-knickers all the way, a great spring and autumn bit of kit.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Padded bib-knickers all the way, a great spring and autumn bit of kit.
    +1. Getting loads of use out of mine. Got some thin Lycra ones by DHB and Mavic, as well as a fleecy DHB pair.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Thanks for the inputs guys. In the end, I went into my local Aldi on Friday and bought some of their arm and leg warmers which I will try out with a windproof gilet on a ride tomorrow and at £7.99 for each pair, it was hardly a massive outlay. I have looked at the Aldi stuff when they have run their 'specials events' in the past but have never really liked the designs - I pride myself in not being too much of a cycling snob but always thought their gear (jerseys in particular) cheap looking. However, being plain black with a few reflective details, these warmers are pretty anonymous and certainly feel OK when worn - they even seem to stay up on my skinny biceps and scrawny legs!

Again, thanks for the advice.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Thanks for the inputs guys. In the end, I went into my local Aldi on Friday and bought some of their arm and leg warmers which I will try out with a windproof gilet on a ride tomorrow and at £7.99 for each pair, it was hardly a massive outlay. I have looked at the Aldi stuff when they have run their 'specials events' in the past but have never really liked the designs - I pride myself in not being too much of a cycling snob but always thought their gear (jerseys in particular) cheap looking. However, being plain black with a few reflective details, these warmers are pretty anonymous and certainly feel OK when worn - they even seem to stay up on my skinny biceps and scrawny legs!

Again, thanks for the advice.

You mean you didn't go for the fluoro yellow warmers! I did!
  • Last year I bought the Howies Unpadded bib tights. I wear them when its 5 to 10 degrees over regular shorts and they have been great. They are a bit pricey for what they are but in terms of value for amount of use they have more than paid for themselves.
  • For me (when dry):
    circa 8 - 10deg, knee warmers (or bib knickers for commuting, less faff), full finger gloves and toe thingys
    6 - 8 leg warmers and full booties
    5 and below, full thermal tights. Thicker gloves and overshoes as temp gets lower

Buff, cotton cap and winter skull cap useful throughout.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Now that the mornings are starting to get a bit cooler (that's a southern 'cooler' that a tough northerner probably wouldn't recognise!), I feel the need for a bit of cover on my legs. I'm not quite ready for the fleecy lined water repellent stuff that I usually wear in the winter and so am looking for recommendations for 'lighter weight' bib tights. At this time of year, I usually wear jogging tights (Ron Hill) over padded bibs and am plenty warm enough but they begin to ride down after a while which gets annoying. They are now nearing replacement time hence I am starting to think about bibs this time around. I'm also thinking that I might get get them without pads and continue to wear my good quality padded bib shorts underneath.

Any suggestions please ? I'm not too keen on 'loud' designs and don't have any upper budget in mind (but don't really want to spend Rapha / Assos / Castelli money). Also how do you think two sets of straps will feel after a few miles?

Thanks in advance.

What about some thermal/roubaix bib shorts with knee or leg warmers?