Press ups....

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    [

Why is reducing growth hormone a health benefit ? it reduces naturally with age from about 25 onward, which is one of the reasons why sport become increasing difficult with age. Im 56 and seem to have very little left at all, Which means my recovery periods from major effort are quite protracted

why would reducing the small amount i have left be a benefit to me ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    [

Why is reducing growth hormone a health benefit ? it reduces naturally with age from about 25 onward, which is one of the reasons why sport become increasing difficult with age. Im 56 and seem to have very little left at all, Which means my recovery periods from major effort are quite protracted

why would reducing the small amount i have left be a benefit to me ?

Fasting studies showed a reduction in levels of Insulin-like Growth Factor 1, and there's a strong correlation between levels of IGF-1 and certain types of cancer.

They haven't yet gone on to demonstrate improved health outcomes per-se, but I'm persuaded by the weight loss - mainly fat as far as I can tell, and massive reduction in my serum triglycerides. And according to my wife I've stopped snoring :D

Oh, and 8kg in 2 weeks is nuts. Took me over 4 months to lose that...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25549805

bit of balanced reporting from somebody not peddling a diet book...

His was a 5 day restricted feeding period a month, but the 5:2 likely works the same way and is easier to incorporate into a weekly routine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-19112549

And this from Dr Mosley who had a documentary to fill and a diet book to sell...
  • Again apologies for a very late reply.

Some good information to read over, found the cooper test quite interesting.

I am 30. If this is worded correct I can do 20 pushups in 4 reps? It sounds correct in my head. Not straight away though.

My form is good, had a day down at Lympstone :) visiting the brother and got some beastings.

I should have worded my post correct before. I am by no means starving myself. But I am measuring out my food, eg, if I was doing pasta before I would chuck half a bag of pasta in now I use 90g. So really I am not starving myself.

Over the past month my whole routine has changed, before I was sleeping on average 4.5 hours a day, having one big meal a day (nothing else), only cycling to work, not drinking near enough water as I should same with fruits etc.

Now I average 8 hours sleep, 3 meals a day balanced and sensible portions, and have a good intake of plenty of fluids and fruits and doing other types of exercise.

Think before I was only expending just enough energy to keep my weight the same.

My weight has gone back up but to 93kg, so in 2 weeks I lost 5kg. I consider this to be healthy. I don't expect to continue to lose weight at that rate. But my ideal goal is between 80-85kg.

Really need to get a fat% ratio. But the only place I can grab fat is the one pack and love handles.

Great advice guys.
  • Maybe with the whole change of routine and everything in the past month my body just went in to chaos?

I don't know, But I have gone from being in a relationship, doing shift work and taking the work home with me etc and leading a fast paced life rich foods drink etc.

Now it has all reversed so maybe my body is catching up?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    nah. don't pay too much attention to weekly fluctuations. I go up and down 2-3kg in 24hrs due to exercise, fasting and hydration. it's long term trends that you need to focus on.
  • brianbee
    nah. don't pay too much attention to weekly fluctuations. I go up and down 2-3kg in 24hrs due to exercise, fasting and hydration. it's long term trends that you need to focus on.

I agree, that its trend rather than fluctuation that's the issue, but he has lost 8KG ( in a fortnight) a fair percentage of which will be muscle and then gained 3kg in a weekend, very very little of which will be muscle

So now he is 5 kg lighter but will have a higher % of fat making up his overall body weight

The problem lies with using weight as anything more than a vague indicator of improvement, He needs to use a machine with gives fat as a % of body weight or if that too high tech use a caliper and ruler and measure body fat at say his love handles. that way you can gauge what your actually loosing and if improvements are real or indeed counter productive
  • brianbee

That article is a bit simplistic, Its around 65- 70% of body weight your lifting as an average through the press up. He has failed to take into account, that the part furthest from the fulcrum is considerably heavier than the part nearest. ie you torso and head make up a far greater % of body weight than you legs,. The initial movement from the floor loads you at quite near to your full body weight say 80-% ?, But as you raise, the weight is transferred to your feet, so the load drops toward the top point. So its like lifting a full wheelbarrow up from the wrong end, getting it off the floor is a pig the higher you lift it the greater the mechanic advantage,. That why getting right down to the horizontal position is so important and why so many people don't when they start to tire

But yes, the greater your angle from the horizontal is at the starting point, the more of you weight is taken by your feet and the easier the movement should be and therefore the more reps you should be able to acheive
  • brianbee,

I understand this and thankyou for your response.

As you have mentioned it is the initial point of lifting your body weight that is hardest. I am trying a mixture of what I class as a normal position for a pushup and a marine style pushup where you have no leverage and it all seems to be brute force on the triceps.

I have watched my brother go through this in RM training and he says it gets easier, but then he has a PT beasting him. I don't.

Just seems like a simple exercise but to do it continuously is something else.

My progress is getting better. Think I need a PT continually shouting at me.
  • diy
    There are lots of body weight workouts you can do. don't just spend time pounding one movement, you'll get faster gains doing a variety of exercises. If you are trying to trigger growth hormones then you need to work the big muscles. This is why body builders rotate groups, so that they get growth during recovery. A big legs day still benefits your arms, if they have been worked the previous day.
  • brianbee
    There are lots of body weight workouts you can do. don't just spend time pounding one movement, you'll get faster gains doing a variety of exercises. If you are trying to trigger growth hormones then you need to work the big muscles. This is why body builders rotate groups, so that they get growth during recovery. A big legs day still benefits your arms, if they have been worked the previous day.

I was going to say much the same IE don't get fixated on making gains in one exercise. there are another 630 muscles to go at :D

Here is a vid on a body weight work out that will do most of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W1-ePRjXvI&list=PLjLlxX-iKW89nok5LDZk9KVGkjGak38XM&index=18
  • diy
    Ooh I like that one..

here's my better looking friend doing something similar.
    http://youtu.be/Y8mvMLg_wDc
  • brianbee
    Ooh I like that one..

here's my better looking friend doing something similar.
    http://youtu.be/Y8mvMLg_wDc

very good, I bet your going to say she looks like that coz she fasts two days a week :D
  • diy
    I think she's more a macro nutrient girl - eat healthy, balanced meals with the right proportion of carbs/fat/protein etc and eat small and often. She probably has an exercise and LMM adjusted BMR of 2,200 - 2,700 at least.
  • There are lots of body weight workouts you can do. don't just spend time pounding one movement, you'll get faster gains doing a variety of exercises. If you are trying to trigger growth hormones then you need to work the big muscles. This is why body builders rotate groups, so that they get growth during recovery. A big legs day still benefits your arms, if they have been worked the previous day.

Thanks,

Have been doing other body weight exercises inbetween. Just the damn press up that I don't seem to be doing good with.

Must admit I haven't been going to a gym, instead doing the exercises at home that would be expected of me, tricep dips, pull ups, sit ups, jumping squats (think thats the name), running etc. But the push ups I do struggle with if I am being honest.

I don't want gain as in being all pumped up and having big muscels I have seen my brother and other people being told to lose the weight before, when going through Royal Marines training.

Just looking for better endurance on this exercise. I am getting better, but still don't feel like I am achieving my best. Just seem to fatigue too quick.
  • diy
    Sometimes its a mental block. It took me ages to break a 100kg bench press. I was happy to do 12 reps at 95, but just couldn't do more than a couple on a 100. Eventually, I broke through and while I'm not pushing the weight I managed in my 20s, I'm happily above 100 as a fail set.

I would say tho, that doing tricep dips on the side of a bench is nowhere near as functional as using a parallel bar. You'll get much deeper in to the muscle with a bar and can hang some weights off your belt if you need to increase the resistance.

The other option for press-ups is a weight on your back. Its a sort of equiv. of high cadence training. i.e. training at a 130rpm to be better at 90rpm. a 10-15kg disc on your back is going to burn you up much quicker, then when you drop the weight, you should go on further.
  • brianbee

Thanks,

Have been doing other body weight exercises inbetween. Just the damn press up that I don't seem to be doing good with.

Must admit I haven't been going to a gym, instead doing the exercises at home that would be expected of me, tricep dips, pull ups, sit ups, jumping squats (think thats the name), running etc. But the push ups I do struggle with if I am being honest.

I don't want gain as in being all pumped up and having big muscels I have seen my brother and other people being told to lose the weight before, when going through Royal Marines training.

Just looking for better endurance on this exercise. I am getting better, but still don't feel like I am achieving my best. Just seem to fatigue too quick.

I think your being to hard on yourself, push ups is a seriously hard exercise, particularly if your of a big build.

If you want to train endurance lower the weight, ie do it on an incline that allows the number of reps you want, then progressively lower the incline whilst maintain the reps. or do them in sets of 10 with say 1 mins rest and slower lower the amount of rest you have. I wouldn't myself go for weight on the back at least until you have the normal one cracked. but putting your feet up on a 4ft fence and doing press ups is remarkably difficult if you want another challenge

Don't keep comparing yourself with others, just look for slow but continual improvement in yourself
  • brianbee
    Sometimes its a mental block. It took me ages to break a 100kg bench press. I was happy to do 12 reps at 95, but just couldn't do more than a couple on a 100. Eventually, I broke through and while I'm not pushing the weight I managed in my 20s, I'm happily above 100 as a fail set.

As a complete aside, The clubs wont allow American footballers to lift more than 225 lbs in training, which is less than most of their body weights, because of the high likelihood of long term damage and that, with out getting a calculator out, is just about what your lifting
  • diy
    I'm no NLF fan, but from what I read, there seems to be a max rep test at that weight. The record I believe is 51 - 51 reps of 102kg is pretty amazing, I reckon I could do 10ish?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_scouting_combine#Bench_press_records

The NFL 225lb test has been used to calculate a theoretical max 1 rep weight

1 Rep Max = 221.8 lb. + 6.81 x Reps @ 225

It seems about right for my 1 rep max 130kg.. I'm currently topping out at 4 on 110-120

Interesting the formula was calculated using 290 NFL players, so they certainly seem capable of going above 225lb.

With a bit of training most people can do 10 reps of their body weight. BB aim for 1 rep max at 1.5 - 2x body weight
  • brianbee
    I'm no NLF fan, but from what I read, there seems to be a max rep test at that weight. The record I believe is 51 - 51 reps of 102kg is pretty amazing, I reckon I could do 10ish?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_scouting_combine#Bench_press_records

The NFL 225lb test has been used to calculate a theoretical max 1 rep weight

1 Rep Max = 221.8 lb. + 6.81 x Reps @ 225

It seems about right for my 1 rep max 130kg.. I'm currently topping out at 4 on 110-120

Interesting the formula was calculated using 290 NFL players, so they certainly seem capable of going above 225lb.

With a bit of training most people can do 10 reps of their body weight. BB aim for 1 rep max at 1.5 - 2x body weight

I see you have has a quick google. That was indeed the formula I was trying to remember last night.

yes they clearly can lift far in excess of that. The point I was making is they are actively discourage from doing so and there is no need to put that amount of stress on the body as you can find you max lift with out ever needing to lift it and risk damaging your self

Regularly lifting 2 times my body weight, getting on for 400 lbs. would be a very silly thing to do, as there is a very good chance it will cause musco-skelital damage. Yet I know it could be done, if I have to lift a fallen beam of a child etc, because I can lift my own body weigh, a fair number of times.Something my body was actually ''design'' to do.

Or if 225lbs is right for super fit athletes in their 20s, Il call it quits at 200 lb and use the formula that way i may still be able to walk( or at least use my elbow and shoulders) when I am 70
  • diy
    google Maryana Naumova - she whooped you at 13 :D

I'm not convinced that there is a huge risk going up to say 120-130kg, as long as the technique is good and the reps clean, I think its fine. Obviously a 1 rep lift is nothing more than an ego press, but if you can manage 4 or 5 good ones then I can't see the issue.

For footballers, they don't need massive strength, like say a weightlifter and I suspect this has more to do with it.
  • Good replies guys,

But I do consider a push up to be a simple exercise, have watched other recruits in training just hammer them out. I am doing it in the correct fashion going all the way down to a fist between my chest and the ground. Yes I would consider myself to be a bigger build, but not in a unhealthy way.

If I have a rest in-between I can keep going. Maybe it is a mental block, and maybe I need that person screaming and shouting at me.

They have improved, I can now do 30 consistently, and I am weighing in at 94kg, just not wanting to be told to do 50 and I can't and then to fail.

It was so easier when I was younger, still not with press ups though. But pull ups I could do for fun, and in a sense they are still easier than press ups.
  • Also find it ironic that when I was repairing LDA goods (white goods) I could constantly carry washing machines like Mieles at chest hight or lower them from being double stacked on a regular basis. They are roughly my body weight.
  • brianbee
    Also find it ironic that when I was repairing LDA goods (white goods) I could constantly carry washing machines like Mieles at chest hight or lower them from being double stacked on a regular basis. They are roughly my body weight.

Those are either very heavy washing machines or you quite light !
  • brianbee
    Good replies guys,

But I do consider a push up to be a simple exercise, have watched other recruits in training just hammer them out. I am doing it in the correct fashion going all the way down to a fist between my chest and the ground. Yes I would consider myself to be a bigger build, but not in a unhealthy way.

If I have a rest in-between I can keep going. Maybe it is a mental block, and maybe I need that person screaming and shouting at me.

They have improved, I can now do 30 consistently, and I am weighing in at 94kg, just not wanting to be told to do 50 and I can't and then to fail.

It was so easier when I was younger, still not with press ups though. But pull ups I could do for fun, and in a sense they are still easier than press ups.

Press up are consider the ultimate in upper body strength/endurance test. In very round figures what you are doing is equivalent to bench pressing 120lbs ( a hundred weight in old money) 30 times and that is pretty good in my estimation. Give your body time to get used to that level and then push on a bit. You cant expect constant daily/weekly improvement.

Im not convinced a shouty man necessarily helps, but if you feel it would befit you, get a shouty man. There are people ( ex-forces) round this way running fitness course, have a google and see if they do so in your area
  • brianbee
    google Maryana Naumova - she whooped you at 13 :D

I'm not convinced that there is a huge risk going up to say 120-130kg, as long as the technique is good and the reps clean, I think its fine. Obviously a 1 rep lift is nothing more than an ego press, but if you can manage 4 or 5 good ones then I can't see the issue.

For footballers, they don't need massive strength, like say a weightlifter and I suspect this has more to do with it.

You cant beat genetics and most of the ''fitness industry is based on the lie that you can. My mate of 30 odd years has always been 50% stronger than me, He has a grip like a mole wrench and can pick a 18 stone bloke up and hold him above his head. Nothing that I can ever do will make me as strong as him

Champions arn't champions because they train, they are, because they have a genetic advantage AND they train. and that true of strength, speed agility whatever ?

American football requires a significant amount of upper body strength ?

The human body thrives on light movement, too little ''exercise is bad for you, too much is maybe worse in the long run Many ex athletes are disabled with the long term effects of excessive training in there 20s. Knees shoulders hips ankles knackered. The more you load a joint up and move it the quicker it will wear out.

Maybe its an age thing, I realized that I have to make my body, which has its fair share of long term damage from the silly things I did as a young man, last another 30 years or so. And squatting twice my body weight is quite likely to see my knees off prematurely. I was doing one legged squats till the funny noise my knee was making indicted it might be a bad idea ?. I have spent the last 6 months trying to get the full range of movement on my shoulders. damage I did trying to keep pace with my very strong mate bench pressing. Im reluctant to risk damaging it again, particularly as there is no need to load it up excessively to increase my strength level

Where you want to put your limit is up to you, But yes lifting 130kg will cause you damage in the long term,
  • diy
    Totally agree with that - you see guys in gyms taking all sorts of cr*p without a care in the world that they are upping their risk of cancer and reducing the longevity of their bodies. Yes its about balance and as we get older we also need to slow down the decay of our lean muscle mass. Something cycling alone does very little to help.

The issues you mention is one of the reasons I don't do plyometric training. And bodybuilding simply isn't good for you as you get older no matter how clean you are. Exercising to promote growth hormone I'm not convinced on. Odly my regime is highly conflicted. I cycle for cardio fitness, enjoyment and endurance, I weight train to maintain a body that looks better, I strength train to improve my all over fitness, and I fast to keep my growth hormone and cholesterol down, as well as letting me eat the cr*p I like without getting fatter.

Regarding your mate who is built for strength genetically, you can console yourself that his life expectancy is substantially reduced over someone built for endurance or speed.
  • Also find it ironic that when I was repairing LDA goods (white goods) I could constantly carry washing machines like Mieles at chest hight or lower them from being double stacked on a regular basis. They are roughly my body weight.

Those are either very heavy washing machines or you quite light !

Trust me I am not light, so we have one other option. But I could get a good grip on them.
  • Good replies guys,

Press up are consider the ultimate in upper body strength/endurance test. In very round figures what you are doing is equivalent to bench pressing 120lbs ( a hundred weight in old money) 30 times and that is pretty good in my estimation. Give your body time to get used to that level and then push on a bit. You cant expect constant daily/weekly improvement.

Im not convinced a shouty man necessarily helps, but if you feel it would befit you, get a shouty man. There are people ( ex-forces) round this way running fitness course, have a google and see if they do so in your area

Didn't look at it from that point of view at all. Now what you are saying does make sense. All I was seeing is other people being able to perform the exercise for what seems like eternity. I am realistic about time and gains, I am upto 30 now so this is a good improvement. So I weigh 94kg now, what percentage of my weight am I really lifting?

I think I am/was fixating on they can do it, so why can't I.

A shouty man certainly helped me when I went for P Coy. Maybe it is an exaggerated version of someone to push you.