What Happened to Having a Moral Conscience

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
edited September 2015 in The cake stop
I just don't understand the thinking of this guy, what on earth would possess you to think that this is the correct thing to do :evil: :evil:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34320413
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    We mustn't judge by appearances. But he just looks like the sort of twunt that would happily sell his mother into slavery. He has no moral compass, only greed.
  • arran77
    True.

I guess we all look at things differently but I just wouldn't be able to do that.

Is making all that money really going to make him happy knowing how it was earned?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    Is making all that money really going to make him happy knowing how it was earned?
    He only cares about one of those two things, making money. He doesn't care how many people die as a result of not being able to afford his drugs as they are remote enough that he can say it's nothing to do with him.
  • arran77
    He only cares about one of those two things, making money. He doesn't care how many people die as a result of not being able to afford his drugs as they are remote enough that he can say it's nothing to do with him.

Well when his time comes and he's standing in front of the main man we'll see how much he cares then.......hang on, that's the other thread :lol:

seanoconn
  • veronese68
    I wish karma would be quicker. He gets bitten by a snake tomorrow and the hospital doesn't have any anti-venom as the drug company charges too much for it.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

I disagree, he is in that position to max the share price and return to investors, he isnt chair of a charity.
    in anycase, this decision would have been through many levels of his company, so he isnt the only one involved.

Of course its wrong but its the way capitalism works, just as the big six energy companies put their prices up or the closure of the coal mines, or cutting payments to disabled people - the goverments and companies making these decisions dont give a flying xxxx about the consequences - he is no different from any of them.
  • arran77
    I wish karma would be quicker. He gets bitten by a snake tomorrow and the hospital doesn't have any anti-venom as the drug company charges too much for it.

:lol:

seanoconn
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Dear god - what an awful man. He's lying through his teeth too -

"We needed to turn a profit on this drug" - OK - that's fine - we know a company can't take a loss on it.

But then - "The companies before us were actually giving it away almost." - so they WERE making a profit on it.

I hope there's some jurisdiction on profiteering. Or we get the A Team in to sort him out. Awful awful man.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    wots different?

The strong taking advantage of the weak. Whatever the political or economic system we manage to corrupt whatever we touch.

@ the OP. The shareholders have the power to sack this guy, if they don't I don't what will pile higher or quicker, the dividend payment or the dead bodies who won't be able to afford the treatment.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    People generally don't have much of a moral conscience IME. Its a rare trait these days.

I have not had a look at the clip, and have no idea what the guy did, but IMO anyone who tries on clothing in a shop and then does not put it back as they found it (no, it is not someones job to do it), is equally immoral.

Immorality starts small, then gets stretched.
    You have to ask yourself which is worse, the small beginning, or the small stretches?
    Both are way worse than what you end up with IMO.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    The telling line in that report is......Mr Shkreli, a former hedge fund manager
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    We mustn't judge by appearances. But he just looks like the sort of twunt that would happily sell his mother into slavery. He has no moral compass, only greed.

Exactly +1000. As discussed on other threads, nearly all heads of companies are twunts without any moral values. We've all worked for them and that's why they are where they are. They give not a 5h1t about anyone or anything other than themselves and money.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • veronese68
    They've agreed to lower the price, but haven't said how much. Even the lobbying group that supports pharmaceutical companies said they do "not represent the values of PhRMA member companies".
    If your own lobbying group can't support you that's really saying something.
  • America's pharmaceutical industry is questionable. There are some interesting TED talks on the subject.
    tick - tick - tick
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    hmmm.. I'm not defending him, but 99.9% of drug inventions fail at the human trial test, thats often after 10s of millions have been spent on R&D. When they get one that works, they have to get a return on it.

Is this any different to charging 6000% APR on a loan?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    @diy

That's not exactly a business model you want to be associated with....or to be used as a baseline for ethical standards.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    as i said, i dont no why anyone is getting on their hi horse about this, its called capitalism and if you could sell your house for 100x more than you paid for it, you would.

the drugs industry is no different, he is emplyed to make a profit, not any profit but the biggest one he can make.
  • arran77
    as i said, i dont no why anyone is getting on their hi horse about this, its called capitalism and if you could sell your house for 100x more than you paid for it, you would.

the drugs industry is no different, he is emplyed to make a profit, not any profit but the biggest one he can make.

The drugs industry IS different, peoples lives are at risk, that's the difference.

seanoconn
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

And that is ultimately why you cannot have completely de-regulated markets. The greediest people will set the standards by which we all have to live (or put up with the consequences of).

I 100% agree with the principle of being rewarded success and / or hard work. However, rewards should come with constraints. Turning a profit should not excuse immoral behaviour. The markets will never provide boundaries, so legislation has to.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Ok so lets say we cap profit margins on healthcare, who is going to invest in drug companies with restricted profits? Without investment who is going to do R&D on new drugs. Without new drugs who is going to cure the sick?

If one company is excessively profiting, then it basically creates a market for others to compete in. I can't believe such an old drug doesn't have competitors. They only get a 20 year exclusive license in the UK, anyone could copy it now , in the UK at least.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ok so lets say we cap profit margins on healthcare, who is going to invest in drug companies with restricted profits? Without investment who is going to do R&D on new drugs. Without new drugs who is going to cure the sick?
    Loosely speaking, the same argument that ALL investment bankers will leave if we don't let them cream off as much money as possible.
    So turning a healthy profit is not enough to warrant investment? An investment is only worthwhile if potential profit is unlimited? I smell manure. Besides, nobody is investing in UK anyway. All just stockpiling cash.
    I'd suggest something along the lines of a pro-rata dividend. When gross profit exceeds whatever trigger point, the excess has to be re-invested or held as capital for times when profits aren't as healthy during intensive R+D.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,418

Honestly folks, I have not hacked mamba's BR account :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    hmmm.. I'm not defending him, but 99.9% of drug inventions fail at the human trial test, thats often after 10s of millions have been spent on R&D. When they get one that works, they have to get a return on it.

Is this any different to charging 6000% APR on a loan?
    Right, but hes not in the Drug industry, hes in the bottom feeder industry. He bought the expired rights to a 1953 drug. This is the same as the hedge funds who bought the Argentinian defaulted debt at 10c in the $ and then held out for 100% payment when all the other creditors approved a deal. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Its why capitalism should not be allowed to operate in a vacuum and highlights the moral bankruptcy of a "self- regulating" market system.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    as above, this is nothing to do with recouping investment

the patent is long expired, any company can start making a generic, may well be produced already though perhaps not in usa

his company didn't develop it, they just bought the rights and jacked up the price

his statements are clearly nonsense, simply an unsuccessful attempt to try to not look like a lying, greedy, scheming little scumbag, he's too late

the price hike is a clear attempt to exploit the way usa healthcare operates

there've been similar cases, usually not so extreme though
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny