Boardman Hybrid or 2016 Giant Rapid 1

zanelad
zanelad Posts: 269
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
I've been toying with the idea of buying a Boardman Comp Hybrid. They're £400 now and look great for the price. However, I'm 6'2" and I'm a bit concerned that even the large frame (54cm) may be a bit small for me.

Another bike that's caught my eye is the 2016 Giant Rapid 1.

It's twice the price of the Boardman bike, but is available in a larger frame.

Ignoring the anti Halfords vibe that's sure to follow, I've spoken to the bike guy in my local branch of Halfords (Aylesbury) and he seems a trustworthy cove, and a keen cyclist to boot.

Is the extra for the Giant worth it, or should I pocket the difference and go with the Boardman. I could even buy 2 Boardmans and have winter and summer bikes :o

Helpful advice, worthy alternatives and amusing comments etc always welcome.

I thank you.

Z.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Did you sit on the 54cm Boardman, how did the fit seem to you, will they let you ride it around the car park? The Giant is more expensive because it has a carbon fork, carbon seatpost, hydraulic disc brakes and 10sp transmission.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    I checked my current bike, which is a 54cm frame and that's fine.

So, on the strength of that I ordered the Boardman. They're offering a 10 % discount if you spend £400, so I added a set of tyre levers to they order and got the bike for £360. Otherwise the discount would have only been £20.

Bargain, I hope :D