Setting Up a Rear Mech from Scratch

drewesq
drewesq Posts: 137
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
My rear mech seems really lazy at changing up from gears 1,2,3,4 so much so that often it won't change on the first click and then jump 2 on the next click.

I suspect I need to loosen the cable and set up again from scratch, but I haven't done it before and I can't keep taking my bike to the shop for every mechanical problem especially my MTB since it needs constant maintenance!

Which youtube videos are best for learning this sort of thing please?
Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
Charge Plug 0
Voodoo Bizango 2015
Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
:mrgreen:

Comments

• just need to adjust the cable tension a little tighter - try turning the barrel adjuster 1/4 turn anti clockwise, try the gears 1,2,3,4 if still 'lazy' try another 1/4 turn

park tools website has good guides
  • Also how old are you cables? dirty old cables seriously reduce shifting quality.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lazy changing up (smaller cogs) is usually due to cruddy cables, the only force applied is from the spring in the rear mech, changing down is OK as you can apply more force with your thumb!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drewesq
    Thanks guys, will give it a go tomorrow!

Shame there aren't any bike mechanic courses you can pay to go on, I'd be all over that!!
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There are courses, but most stuff is really simple.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I'd definitely advise using the Park Tools website for a decent guide. I've followed the guide on rear mechs numerous times and I can't fault it, just my memory!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also read the instructions for the mech you have as they are not all set up exactly the same way. but the basics are the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • drewesq
    Just thought I'd say that I used the MBR video (Al) on youtube. I have now setup my rear mech from scratch for the first time successfully!

Might change the cable soon though as it is extremely frayed!

Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh youtube videos are great, there's plenty of rubbish ones but watching a few will give you a good visual understanding of what's going on, and a pictures worth a thousand words as they say.
  • Here, from the "Workshop Guide" that came with the October edition of MBUK

click to enlarge, then hit 'download' on the right of the page
    th_7622884a-b14b-44c2-beb7-ba393b577e52_zpsy4kh0yiw.jpg