Oval chainring

Jackal33
Jackal33 Posts: 9
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all i am looking to get a smaller chainring on my stumpy expert fsr carbon currently running a 34t
looking to get a 30t .

Question one if i went 30 how many links do i drop out the chain is it one for every tooth removed?

Question two Absoluteblack oval chain rings do they really work? they look really good .

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You measure the chain properly, big/big, missing out the mech, plus a full link, or more depending on chain growth.

I wouldn't bother with oval rings (do a forum search for a recent thread)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have an absolute black oval ring. I will keep it on until wears out but I won't buy another. They feel really lumpy at high cadence.
    30t is tiny unless you ride a 29er. You're going to spin out a lot. I occasionally find 32t too small.
  • Thanks for the feed back i am going to stick with the 34t i am getting used to it now will give the oval ring a miss.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have an oval chainring, cant say I notice any real difference over standard. Maybe a slight advantage climbing, but thats probably a placebo effect. Cant say i have noticed it feeling over 'Lumpy' at high cadence mind. Not that i'm running hugely fast cadence on a MTB unless climbing anyway. Going to shortly upgrade my roadbike to rotor rings, but thats for a whole different forum to this one!

Would I buy another...Yes. If they stopped producing them would i be devastated...No
  • I have a 32t oval. It replaced my 30t round. I didn't notice a difference, dont have any problems with it, would get another, wouldn't if it was hideously over priced vs a round one.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Going from 32 round to 34 oval most probably tommorow (post office down here sucks) if lucky you will get an answer from me as well on suturday. postpone your order mate! :)
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Thanks for your feed back guys let me no how you get on Herdwick?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I have an AB oval ring and I'd not size up, reckon that's rubbish. the only difference I really notice is that it feels quite 'lumpy' on the road. Doesn't bother me, but I notice it.

It's fine - it's cheaper and lighter than the stock SRAM one, but it's not some miracle cure that generates 10% more power.
  • Herdwick
    Jackal, just got the oval in my hands, going to fit it tonight but will report on saturday after a big ride, don't believe I can tell just by trying out in the neighborhood!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    also sized up, from 32t to 34t oval
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    finally I manage to do a proper test yesterday, a 50+ km ride in search of new trails around the area, with too much fire road climbing and steep single track short sections,
    So, I use to run a 32t normal and the 34 oval feels more natural as the dead spot in the pedal stroke is not obvious when pushing hard on an uphill, when the pedal comes down to the power point the transition from 32 to 36t is not annoying and in fact after a few pedal strokes you won't notice anything it just smooths out.

It's not a performance enhancer by any means, rather a tool to negotiate those steep climbs with more ease helps smooth out your pedal stroke and it's more gentle on your knees if nothing else,
    Mostly after this sort of rides that include steep climbing while carrying a heavy backpack full of parts, tools, water and food my knees felt quite sore but today I am more than ok.
    I don't believe that is a placebo effect, after such a ride with so much climbing would have faded out any placebo effect long before we were done... 6 1/2 hours ride is a long one...
    Durability looks decent but time will show. No signs of premature wear or tear yet.

So I recommend this oval chainring as long as you realize that it won't pedal it self up steep climbs, you are the one who has to do the hard work.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    Ohh and another thing, those of you who run single chain rings there is a risk of fouling the chainstay with an oval as the 34t ring at its widest is equally to a 36t ring so check your chainline and clearance before you buy!
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Again thank you for your feed back Hardwick much appreciated I have now had a go on a bike with an oval fitted and liked the feel think i will invest

Cheers.