Tour of Flanders - kit choice

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
I'm probably/hopefully doing the Tour of Flanders sportive next year ... need to do some training first though!
Thoughts are turning to kit requirement - both clothing and bike kit ...

Clothing - I know I need new shorts (7.5hrs in the saddle on Saturday started getting uncomfortable!) and will look at gloves too - other than that I think I'm fine ...

So the attention turns to the bike ... I've got "a few" bikes to chose from .. from the best Carbon, CX or even a 29er ... obviously the 29er would be comfortable on the pave section - but I'm not luggin that around 150 miles! So it's going to be the CX, winter bike or the best carbon bike - all 3 have carbon forks and rim brakes ... winter and best carbon have the same geometry - so not a lot to chose from there ..
So the thoughts go to wheelsets - I've generally got Fulcrum racing wheelsets - low spoke count - fine most of the time, but is this a sensible option for the tour of flanders? I probably need to buy a wheelset (or two) anyway as one set is nearing it's end and I need to get 2 bikes on the turbos (wifes bike and mine) - so I could select a sensible wheelset that's suitable for the tour and not too expensive (~£100ish) ...
Wife is doing this event too (the middle distance) and the same will apply for her (she has 1 less bike than me though ;) )

Any thoughts?

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Flanders cobbles really aren't that bad (nothing compared to Roubaix!) so we did the Sportive last year on our usual Carbon road bikes with 23mm tyres, without any problems, as did the vast majority of the 17,000 entrants, so I'd say just go with your favourite bike.

Check our link for a report and pics, absolutely fantastic event!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • slowbike
    excellent - ta - yes, had forgotten about tyres too ...
    Glad the cobbles aren't that bad - I'm not going to be able to get that much training in - with a 3 month old son that needs looking after/playing with as well .... (he's not coming on the sportive - his aunt will look after him!)
  • I'd say that the cobbles are relatively not that bad. Yes, the Roubaix pave is a lot worse, but if you've not ridden proper cobbles before and you're expecting Flanders to be like a block-paved driveway then you're in a big shock! Having said that, your carbon best bike will be fine and if you're not too heavy then low-spoke count race wheels won't be an issue either. Tyres and tyre pressure are important though, have a look for advice on here.

As for clothing, it's the tail end of winter so it can be quite variable. Could be nice and sunny with the temps up in double figures or it could be sub-zero with frost and ice on the ground. In fact that weekend saw both this year, freezing cold (avg 3 deg C) and drizzle on Saturday for the sportive and blazing spring sunshine on Sunday for the pros. You can only really decide close to the day, but chances are you'd be the only person brave enough to wear shorts!
  • durhamwasp
    Yeah, keep an eye on the forecast, 2 years ago it was in the 20's with bright sunshine all day! Absolutely perfect!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • slowbike
    clothing wise I'm not worried - I've commuted in -5°C - although I'd probably think twice about the longer distance - new shorts is because I wear unpadded longs or 3/4rs over the top when required ...

I did watch GCN's video on double bar tape ... that's a good idea :)

• I did watch GCN's video on double bar tape ... that's a good idea :)
    Completely useless

There are only a small number of long pave' at RVV and they are not super hard. If it's dry any tyre will be fine, if it's wet, no tyre will be good enough.

The technical bits at RVV are the narrow concrete cycle paths that you have to use, jumping on and off them can be dangerous in big groups
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike

I did watch GCN's video on double bar tape ... that's a good idea :)
    Completely useless
    Forgive me if I ignore you ... you don't arf spout a load of bolx at times ...

• I did watch GCN's video on double bar tape ... that's a good idea :)
    Completely useless
    Forgive me if I ignore you ... you don't arf spout a load of bolx at times ...

I have tried gel, double wrap and even foam, they don't make any difference... what matters is to have a round tube that you can hold effortlessly, as if you clench your fingers it will hurt a lot more... if that means having a bigger tube double wrapped or a smaller tube with no wrap it's down to the size of your hands... wrapping per se doesn't do a thing
  • I can see what Ugo is saying, cobbles aren't just normal road-buzz, so whatever you choose to do with the bars/tape won't make a huge amount of difference. Things like tyre pressure *will* make a big difference, with both comfort and traction, so have a trial run with that beforehand if you can find some local cobbled sections.

That said, I run gel pads under my tape all year round and when I've tried without it the difference is certainly noticeable. If it just helps to take the edge off the shock of riding on the pavé then it's worth a shot.
  • slowbike
    ta - yup - thinking about the wider tyre at a lower presure - I know the double bar tape won't change the ride to smooth - but like you say, it could help take some of the shock away - and that is what counts - I know the old cliche of "the Pro's do it" ... they don't do it for no reason ... whilst I'd be happy to go at 1/2 their speed, the theory still holds up...
  • ta - yup - thinking about the wider tyre at a lower presure - I know the double bar tape won't change the ride to smooth - but like you say, it could help take some of the shock away - and that is what counts - I know the old cliche of "the Pro's do it" ... they don't do it for no reason ... whilst I'd be happy to go at 1/2 their speed, the theory still holds up...

some do it to get a better grip, not for the road buzz... if you feel you need a bigger tube to grip onto, then double wrap, otherwise best not to.

It's a bit like putting some wrapping on your steering wheel when doing a World cup rally stage... it won't do anything for your comfort, but if it helps handling better, then it's all good

Tyre pressure is dictated by tyre choice... TPI matters more than size, often... for instance a Gatorskin 28 cannot be run at low pressure, but a corsa CX 25 can

• You can put as many links as you like... my experience is different, but what do I know? I have done 2 Roubaix (which as pointed out earlier is a different beast), I have also done RVV, Gent-wevelgem and a couple of Retroronde (basically a small RVV for period bikes)... plus many trips to the Flanders... I've also done a couple of Rapha hell of the north for good measure.

You can try all the methods people suggest to dampen the vibrations and none of them make any difference. What does make a difference is to learn to relax and hold the bars lightly.

It is also advisable to lose the habit of riding on the hoods, despite what some pros do on TV. If you want to stay safe, you ride the cobbles on the bars or on the drops, always!
  • I rode the sportive for the first time this year and I rode my regular road bike. If I were to change anything it would be smaller details, so think about your bottles cages if you have them, they'll need to be reasonably tight. I probably wouldn't bother with a saddle bag which I used this year, and make sure you get your cables sorted because they will rattle too. And while the cobbles might not be as bad as other rides, they'll be far worse than anything you will normally be riding on. And the switching between cycle path and road can be a pain, as you'll be expected to ride on the cycle paths when they are there.
  • I rode the sportive for the first time this year and I rode my regular road bike. If I were to change anything it would be smaller details, so think about your bottles cages if you have them, they'll need to be reasonably tight. I probably wouldn't bother with a saddle bag which I used this year, and make sure you get your cables sorted because they will rattle too. And while the cobbles might not be as bad as other rides, they'll be far worse than anything you will normally be riding on. And the switching between cycle path and road can be a pain, as you'll be expected to ride on the cycle paths when they are there.

Good advice.

I also found the up and down the paths annoying and occasionally damn right dangerous
  • I'd agree on not double wrapping your bars - maintaining a relaxed grip is far more important.

The cobbles aren't bad, but if you've never ridden them before, I can understand why people use a 'death grip'. Oh and buy some tight bottle cages...
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • Ride your normal bike and tyres you are used to. The cobbles aren't bad. The main thing is to make sure you are fit and ready for it. Unfortunately you can't buy that but you'll get it with practice
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I think a couple of changes can make it more enjoyable.

Fit some Vittoria Open Pave tyres if you can, 25mm is perfect. You'll see a LOT of riders will be using these.

Fit Elite Ciussi cages and even bend them in a bit.

These are low cost changes that are worth the spend. Double wrapping your bars won't help much I don't think

The cobbles are ok, but they will be the worst surface you have ever ridden by far and the first section will be a bit of a shock no matter what. Before the ride, do a quick check that everything is tight with your bike - seat post, stem bolts etc. By the last section you'll be enjoying it and charging on!

Clothing wise, keep an eye on weather reports closer to the time. I took a lot of layering options with me and just decided on the day. As the above poster says - this year we froze with constant rain on the sportive and got sun burnt watching the pros the next day.

Which bike? Whichever you like and will enjoy riding. It isn't a race, far from it, speed will not be your major concern. I saw people on everything from full sus mtb to tricked out top end road bikes with deep wheels. The occasional hybrid too, even.

All that said though, fitness should be your biggest focus
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    There are only a small number of long pave' at RVV and they are not super hard. If it's dry any tyre will be fine, if it's wet, no tyre will be good enough.

The technical bits at RVV are the narrow concrete cycle paths that you have to use, jumping on and off them can be dangerous in big groups

Vittoria Pave 25mm for wet weather in Flanders. Brilliant tyres (Grippy when wet and corner well) and i've never had a puncture on them. no need for double bar tape.

i've just used the cheapo Elite Plastic bottle holders and never had a problem with them.

also fitness, get used to climbing short steep hills. Cobbles aren't too bad but i've had 2 partial dislocations of a finger, on flanders, but thats a genetic trait down to my rugby playing days. i reset it on the ride in both instances :)
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I rode the event last year and it was fantastic - i will be going back this year.

In regards to kit i took with me my normal UK winter gear. I was fine with a warm base layer, arm and leg warmers and my gabba. I went with mitts and my fingers froze early on as i rode down from Ghent to the start. I will take full finger gloves this year. It was just above freezing with an ice cold rain so just be prepared for that. In contrast the pro race the following day the weather was beautiful - shorts and SS Jersey. It was pretty dull up to as late as 8am so i would make sure you take some lights as i believe it is against the law to ride without them in the dark

I had never ridden cobbles before and after people on the forum saying they would be fine i was a bit shocked when i hit the first section. I found it pretty uncomfortable and was worse than i was expecting. However they were easily tackled and i was riding an Aeroad with deep rims and 25mm tyres. Yes it would probably be more comfortable on a CX or a MTB and plenty of people ride these but IMO this is a road ride for road bikes and to get the experience ride your carbon road.

Make sure your gearing is comfortable. Regardless of if you are a strong climber and can power up short sharp hills you will need low gears - most of the hills get quite congested and you can only ride as fast as the wheel in front. I found myself using my 28 a lot more than i ever thought i would. As it was wet last year if you stopped on the cobbles you would really struggle to get going

I am going back this year and now i know what to expect i am hoping to ride the cobbles better - the locals seem top zip over them like they were tarmac !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    As per the above riders post regarding this years event it definitely caught a lot of riders out. I stepped outside the accom early doors before getting coach to Brugge, did the usual cyclist 'air sniff test' to decide on what layers to wear. The forecasts were better than the reality. Went with knee warmers overshoes, base layer, long jersey, gillet and rain cape- still completely froze for the first 150 odd km until the cloud broke. This was my 4th RVV and apart from this time the other 3 were warm/sunny apart from the chilly starts. Bike wise just put decent 25mm tyres on and make sure its running well. Its a great event as are all events that include pave IMO!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Very timely thread! Just decided on this for next year.
    Registration opens on Nov 1st...do I need to be waiting, ready at 9am or should it be easy enough to get a space?
    Can you register your group at the same time?

Wasn't sure about the cobbles but we did Liege last year and loved it.

Got a hotel in Waregem so should be a wee ride to Oudenaarde for the shuttle bus.
    Just need to get the training in :)
  • durhamwasp
    Don't worry about getting a spot - if they sell out its usually in the last few weeks.

We did it in 2014 and got our spots in January, I think around 600 places went unsold.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Done it a few times now as it's easy to get to for us. 2 years a go it was the first shorts and jersey day where you felt proper warmth from the sun, last year it was freezing, wet and slimy

There is no point changing much on the bike just for a day. What I'd say though is make sure you have a properly low gear as at the end of the day you want to be riding the cobbled climbs not walking and use wide tyres that you can run low pressure without getting snakebitten. If you have a bike that matches that criteria then use that one.

Being afraid of the cobbles doesnt help. Learn to embrace them and then f**king smash them! It's only a few minutes of effort. Get your best Cancellara/Boonen fantasy on and go! (Off topic - there isnt half some bollox written about cobbles and bergs in the English cycling press. Christ I was reading something at the weekend about a guy who cried the first time he rode them. Good God man!)

As far as training goes, if you can't already, learn how to ride slow speed slippery climbs - a skill that seems anathema to most roadies. Even better is if you can learn to do it whilst screaming at people to get out of the way for the Koppenberg

The next thing is to make sure to watch the Pro Race the next day. Hire a small car that you can park in driveways, ditches, hedges and the like at the top of the bergs and then hare around to the next one to see them, again. Even better would be to have a non-drinking mate doing the driving so that the rest of you could partake...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rc856
    Where do you find the balance of tyre pressures for comfort vs the risk of pinch flats on the cobbles?
    I'm about 73/74kgs and usually have my pressure about 105-110 on the rear and 95-100 on the front.

Cheers
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Tubeless Baby!

(I think i ran 100psi in 28c the first year but then I am a fat knacker. Last year I used 75psi on 25c tubeless, but I don't recall bottoming out the rim. hard to really tell though)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Accommodation and entry booked for 2/4/2016.

Very excited :D
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Did it last year, and agree with most comments here.

Take lots of different clothing options, including full winter gear, check the forecasts and decide on the day. A bit worried about the OP comparing this to what you'd wear on a commute. You'll be out for up to 10 hours. Last year was horrible 5 hours freezing rain.

Also agree with there being no real need to adapt your bike too much, although I felt running a bit less pressure and riding 25mm does help on the cobbles. Certainly no need to overthink all this too much and go put on double bar tape and so on.

Riding the cobbles well is much more important; going as fast as you can so you avoid bouncing vertically too much, push a gear on the big side (on the flat cobble sections), and keeping hands and shoulders loose avoiding tensing up

What is important in terms of kit is gearing; get gears as light as you can get; 28, 30 even. You'll be climbing 20% inclines stuck behind a pack of slow moving or walking riders

Elite Ciussi or bendable aluminium bottle cages are a good idea.
  • rc856
    Registered! :D :shock: :shock:
  • slowbike
    Registered for the long one .... hmm ...

I'll definitely be riding 25mm or wider ..

which bike will depend on the forecast! :)