Wet riding chain lube

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Just looking for peoples' experience of chain lubes in wet riding.

The new bike I bought came with a KMC chain that had a very tacky waxy substance applied to it that retained its water-repelling properties even after riding for near an hour in a massive downpour on Wednesday.

It was only removed when I had to clean up the chain using degreaser while washing the bike.

I'd like to re-apply something with similar properties.

So far I have experience of Finish line Wet Bike Lubricant, Muc-Off C3 Wet Ceramic lubricant and Shimano PTFE lubricant.

All of them leave a slippery finish as opposed to the waxy hydrophobic finish that was originally on the chain. As a former motorcyclist I was considering using a spray-on motorcycle chain wax.

Interestingly, Finish Line do a wax lubricant but it is not recommended for use in wet conditions. When I took their online quizz they recommended their 1-step cleaner & lubricant product.

I have no experience of it and it doesn't appear to be sold by the big outlets in the UK.

I'm going to try Shimano Wet Lubricant next. Does anyone use anything with the viscous waxy properties mentioned above?

Cheers!

Comments