More comfort?

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All I had a fairly successful start to cycling in 2012 dropping from 16st to 12st and taking my performance to a place I was very happy with.
Every ride was hard and fast during 2013-2014 and as I result I burnt myself out and developed a back injury which I am still trying to resolve. I thought training hard was training smart but I was definitely mistaken.

My goals have changed with my focus to get out and just enjoy a few rides a week without feeling jarred and battered by the uk roads.

I ride a Defy 3 2012 model which I've always found harsh with recent change of saddle I'm still finding it very hard going and I think it's going to take 6-12 months for my body to toughen up to near the point it was and even then I didn't enjoy the fit of the bike, it may be a fraction to big, in need of a set up by professional or I may just never get along with it.

I've been thinking of a change to revitalise my mind and body and like the look of something more all round. I've spotted the Spesh Diverge and think this is the kind of direction I need to go in with bigger clearance for tyres up to 32, discs for the poor Uk weather and mounts for guards for commuting.
I want something I can get a lick if pace going when I'm back to fitness but not something that is race orientated or that will be uncomfortable.

Any thoughts on the Spesh diverge?

Would a carbon Giant Defy give the option of bigger tyres now they have gone full disc break set up?

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Can't comment on the new Defy Disc, but I'm struck by how much more comfortable my 'crosser with 35mm tyres run at 55 psi was this morning, compared to a previous day's ride on my carbon bike with carbon wheels shod with 25mm tyres run at 85 psi. Don't get me wrong, my carbon bike is "comfy" enough, the carbon hoops have wide rims so I can run my tyres at relatively low pressures, but my Crosslight is still like a magic carpet ride in comparison over crappy roads. Go for bigger tyres, and consider going tubeless. I'd also look at the Salsa Colossal, as well as the GT Grade. The Diverge looks good too.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I've gone from a Defy 3 to an Emonda carbon, same wheels and tyres.
    The difference is huge, you can feel everything on the Defy, the carbon bike is so smooth and quiet and makes that road buzz disappear.
  • Have a look at the Cannondale Synapse, widely regarded as one if not the most comfortable frame. Also consider a bikefit, the Defy is a fairly comfortable frame so it may be the setup that is wrong.

Congrats on your weightloss, that's impressive :)
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Ridden a fair few bikes over the years and recently purchased a GT carbon Grade 105, if comfort is what your after this is the bike by a country mile. what you loose on the ups you will make up on the descents awesome ride.
  • Thanks guys. I definitely need something tats commute friends too so will take a look at the mentions above too.
    I'd like the ability to flex up to 32c if needed we have a few paths that I would ride on occasion that are unsurfaced.
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    I run Schwalbe 28's on my Roubaix Comp Disc, and it's more than comfy enough in those to be honest, even for my 95kgs, & @ 100psi.

I even frequently take a short cut on a gravel road, and both bike & tyres handle it no problem.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth looking at the riding you are doing, peer pressure can sometimes have the benefit of forcing a rider to, heaven forbid!, slow down rather than speed up. A good local club may offer rides with known speeds (my club offers rides from 14mph through to 20+) so people know what they are getting into. This sometimes helps a rider who is working their way up the groups (someone at the top of the 16's can jump to 18's) but it can also help an 18's rider take a slower ride when needed by dropping to the 16's or maybe doing a recovery ride with the 14's . This kind of option can make cycling much more social (it is easier to talk when not at threshold!) and that can help people to regain their mojo and enjoy cycling again rather than constantly feeling the awful dread when reaching for shorts prior to a big event that one knows is going to be long and brutal. A good social ride can also make rides pass quickly and give a rider something other than their asre to think about! It doesn't have to be a club, audaxes are good too (they have a max speed as well as a min speed), are cheap and cheerful and offer a good range of distances from 50/60km upwards. You won't find many folks sucking back a gel but don't be fooled into thinking you could drop anyone if you fancied it.

Not every issue is solved by buying something; riding 25s with 80/90 PSI can also make a massive difference to comfort particularly when matched to decent shorts and supple tyres.
  • I like riding solo to be honest. I've been part of a club and wasn't my thing. I like to get lost in my own thoughts and after a day at work I like my own head space.

Any thoughts on the Giant Anyroad comax seems like a very good spec for £1200?? The top bar is putting me off a little I think compared to a conventional looking frame like the diverge?