24 inch road wheelset

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
I've recently bought and built up a 24" road frameset for my daughter, aside from a few issues getting the headset fitted all has gone well, it looks great and if very light but can I find anyone who sells 24" road specific wheels, they need to be ETRTO 540 not the MTB kind which are 507 and to wide to fit those frameset.

I seriously wouldn't have bothered if I'd know how difficult getting wheels was gone to be.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• You could try Islabikes. I was able to buy a spare set of wheels for the Luath 26 that I bought recently and they do a Luath 24... You'd need to check the exact spec is what you want but I paid £95 the pair including everything (cassette, tubes, etc.) except tyres...

_
  • itboffin
    You could try Islabikes. I was able to buy a spare set of wheels for the Luath 26 that I bought recently and they do a Luath 24... You'd need to check the exact spec is what you want but I paid £95 the pair including everything (cassette, tubes, etc.) except tyres...

_

thanks i'll give that a go.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Well i tried them and they said they do have stock but they reserve them as spares for their own customers, which is fair enough i guess.

I've exhausted also sources now in an attempted to find wheels that'll fit, so my advice to anyone thinking of buying a 24" road frameset - DONT

if anyone wants a free 24" frameset PM me.
  • Halfords will get you a set.

They sell a couple of 24" road bikes.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • itboffin
    Halfords will get you a set.

They sell a couple of 24" road bikes.

Nope I was in there today and whilst they were very helpful none of the wheels fitted.
  • itboffin
    Have a look at Decathlon they do some 24" wheels also I seem to think some of the German websites used to stock them and also tyres. What about asking one of our resident wheel builders to make up some nice light handbuilt wheels. Certainly the wheels on my son's Triban junior apart from being 24" and not MTB are pretty bombproof, moda also do several road / cyclocross 24" bikes so may be worth looking on their website.

i tried Decathlon would responded to my first email but not when i replied with additional product links, i guess i'd need to talk to someone in person in store.

As for custom builds, i've been looking down that route with planet-x and my LBS my concern is potentially massive costs compared to longevity, i'm now leaning towards replacing the frame with either a 26" or 650c
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330

I seriously wouldn't have bothered if I'd know how difficult getting wheels was gone to be.

I have just had a quick google and they don't seem at all rare, they are of course quite expensive, but that's a different point

Superstars do a set for £180 quid. (some one else I linked to $800). I'm sure a more diligent search would get the price down a bit ? but they are going to be a comparable price to 26 ''( ETAL) wheels for comparable quality . So they not going to be CHEAP if you want good stuff

If they exist new, they exist second hand so hit ebay or SS do a rim for 30 quid if you get a second hand hub
  • LouO
    LouO Posts: 3
    For anyone who gets here via google...

TaylorWheels of Germany. They sell via their own website and ebay uk.

Wheels come from Germany and are well, if perhaps over, built.

I recently replaced son's 20" wheels for about £50 delivered, 24" wheels are a little more, but not much. I'm fairly pleased with the quality, the bearings are cup/cone and the preload was on so tight they hardly spun, but once adjusted they span up lovely.

They will be horribly abused, I almost feel sorry for them.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    LouO wrote:
    For anyone who gets here via google...

TaylorWheels of Germany. They sell via their own website and ebay uk.

Wheels come from Germany and are well, if perhaps over, built.

I recently replaced son's 20" wheels for about £50 delivered, 24" wheels are a little more, but not much. I'm fairly pleased with the quality, the bearings are cup/cone and the preload was on so tight they hardly spun, but once adjusted they span up lovely.

They will be horribly abused, I almost feel sorry for them.
    I think we discussed this before about Taylor Wheels - the 24" that they offer (I understand) are the 135 MTB type wheels which are too fat at the rim for the racebike Planet X bikes. I don't think that is a problem with the smaller 20" planet X bikes - certainly I've managed to squeeze a set of Islabike wheels into the frame and with 1 1/8 tyres on, they seem fine.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I did find these on ebay ITboffin if that helps:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-507-x-13- ... 1438.l2649

Still 507, but not wide? Campag freehub though... rats. thought it couldn't be that easy!