New wheels ?

kawaspresso
kawaspresso Posts: 106
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello,

My Giant TCR still has his Giant PR2 wheels, and I want some upgrades on my bike, so I though I could change my wheelset.
My actual wheelset is 1875g without skewers : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hzDWUVV2M

I have seen the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe S clincher and the Fulcrum Quattro wheelset. The question is, are they worth it ? Will I see a difference on the road ?
I'm not in a mountain area, my average rides are like 40 miles for 3000ft elevation.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    What's your budget ?

Will you see a difference ? Probably not as those wheels suggested still use narrow 19mm/20.5mm rim widths. They will probably feel slightly stiffer and spin up abit faster but not really a significant upgrade imo.

Consider wider 23mm+ rims (paired with good high tpi 25c tyres). Cornering,grip,comfort,and stabilty will definitely be better. I would take those improvements over the small weight reduction that the wheels above would really only give you. If you can get wider and lighter, the upgrade will be more worth it i'd say.

There are currently not that many wide factory alloy wheels around but more are being released. Handbuilts offer many options though.

Some to look at
    2016 Fulcrum Racing Racing Quattro LG 24mm wide
    Fulcrum Racing 5 LG 23mm wide
    Fulcrum Racing 7 LG 23mm wide
    Pro Lite Bortola A21 23mm wide 1473 grams
    Superstar ARC31 wheels 24mm wide
    Superstar ARC22 Wheels 24mm wide
    Superstar Pave28 23mm wide
  • Take a look at hunt wheels. I've got a set of there aero light wheels. 1420g tubeless compatible.. feel great to ride.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    zonda's always come up on these threads. best bang for buck factory made wheels you can get.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This time of year the best upgrade one can make is to ensure that the wardrobe has plenty of decent options for the season to come. New wheels are something to consider in March...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    True that !

Winter is Coming...