Transition or Santa Cruz

andrewthomas197
andrewthomas197 Posts: 117
edited September 2015 in MTB buying advice
Ok, so after many happy years on a 26" bike I think its time for the switch to 27.5"

I think I have narrowed it down to two contenders, both a little different but both, I think, will suit the t
style and type of riding I do. I am lucky enough to live in South Wales with an abundance of trail centres and natural terrain and this is where I do the majority of my riding. There is of course the obligatory trip to the Alps once a year.

So the short list is Transition Scout or Santa Cruz Bronson. Both I think are amazing bike and I am sure that I wouldn't be disappointed with either and both are way more capable bikes than I am as a rider.

So I was wondering whether there was any opinion or more importantly experiences that people are happy to share to help with the decision.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    RMSC has a scout and really rates it, if I were to buy a bike like that it would be the Scout for me as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I definitely recommend the Scout. I have been really impressed with mine.
    I bought my after borrowing one from a mate who is a pro rider for Transition, I have never known him that enthusiastic about one of his bikes. After a two hour test ride I ordered one!
    It may be a relatively short travel bike but it rides like a bigger enduro bike but without the penalties of big suspension on climbs. I'm still getting used to what it's capable of, hitting big gaps and drops on a trail bike still seems like a stupid thing to do but it takes it so well. Handling on technical trails is brilliant.
    I have done everything from xc epics rides to a week in the Alps and enduro races and it's been brilliant at everything.
    It's by far the best all round bike I have ridden.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Scout is a great bike, geometry is very good and it's a lively ride, way more capable than its 125mm travel rear end would have most believe. I rode a Bronson when they first came out and was hugely disappointed. It wasn't awful as such but given the hype around it at the time it felt distinctly average. The SC 5010 on the other hand is an absolute riot and the new V2 version with a smudge more travel should be even better, looking forward to a test ride in the new year just to see how it goes. I'm biased but id also take a serious look at the Mondraker Foxy. I've had mine for 7 months now and it is without doubt the fastest bike I've ever ridden. Not quite as playful and poppy as the Scout or 5010 but some much more stable in the rough and gives away very little under power and in the tight stuff. It's also the best technical climber I've ever ridden, I've yet to find a climb I can't ride on it, the traction and geometry are just immense, no front wheel left at all and as long as you can keep pedalling you'll climb nearly anything. Highly recommended!
  • Are you looking at the alloy Santa Cruz Bronson?
  • The 5010 is more comparable to the Scout - the new 5010 is probably (without checking) very similar in geometry.

I own a Bronson and cant say I find it disappointing at all but I have little to compare it to (aside from a Sight and a Trance which it seriously overshadows).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.