Zuus Z38 vs Superstar C46 Carbon Clinchers

davedicko
davedicko Posts: 35
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Anyone got any opinions on the Zuus Z38 and/or Superstar C46?

Going to pick up a budget pair of Carbon Clinchers for my good bike and looking at both of these. Probably siding slightly with the Superstar wheels as I feel they're a known brand rim (albeit an older one.) Though if there are decent reports over the quality of the Z38's then that could swing them they are about £100 cheaper on current deals. So, thoughts?

Preferring to stick with a UK company for support/warranty over eBay Chinese sellers.

Comments

• Ah... this thread has potential... could become a classic, as well as not...

Like King Kong Vs Godzilla in the 60s and Goldrake Vs Great Mazinga in the 70s

Both deeply disappointing features... :cry:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ugo - like a moth to a flame... :D:wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Ah... this thread has potential... could become a classic, as well as not...

Like King Kong Vs Godzilla in the 60s and Goldrake Vs Great Mazinga in the 70s

Both deeply disappointing features... :cry:

Is this chapter two of factory handbuilts vs hand handbuilts? :D:D:D
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I spent quite a while looking for a set of carbon clinchers for a build I was on with and I didn't want to spend too much on them. In the end I went of a set of Zuus 50's and to be totally honest they are cheap crap, save your money and buy something better when you can afford.

I was lucky and found someone to buy the wheels and I ended up spending a lot more on new wheels and the difference was night & day.

Don't fall into buying cheap carbon wheels, it's not worth it, trust me.
  • I would avoid the Zuus wheels. Can PM with more details if needed.
  • Interestingly just a month back everyone was raving about these Zuus wheels... :roll:

I remain convinced that if it costs like Chinese, it can't be as good as Chinese... simple economics
  • I would avoid the Zuus wheels. Can PM with more details if needed.

You should share... I don't get this hush hush attitude when there is a problem whilst raving in 20 threads when things run smoothly...
    Shouldn't it be the other way round? Should buying advice not be about what's good and more importantly what's not?
  • Anyone spent any significant time on the Superstar C46's?
    Doesn't appear to be as much written about them as the Zuus wheels. How is the build quality? And is the actual weight the same as the website is reporting (c. 1500g)? Are the Icon hubs any good or is it worth upgrading to DT?
  • Anyone spent any significant time on the Superstar C46's?
    Doesn't appear to be as much written about them as the Zuus wheels. How is the build quality? And is the actual weight the same as the website is reporting (c. 1500g)? Are the Icon hubs any good or is it worth upgrading to DT?

How about checking the thread that you opened back in July? :evil:

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13032139&p=19645208&hilit=superstar+46#p19645208

Otherwise there is always this classic

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13006732&hilit=superstarcomponents+46
  • I've commented on the superstar wheels a few times in the thread above.

Build quality was shockingly poor and had them rebuilt by my LBS as the tensioning was all over the place. Since then they have actually been very good, much better than i expected. I got them in a clearance sale for £300 - not sure i would pay much more to be honest.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I bought 32 and 46 Superstars and apart from the 32's needing a very minor adjustment to one spoke to pull it perfectly true they've been great. They don't flex under power for me, ride nice, and the weights were spot on at 1399g for the 32's. I didn't weigh the 46's but I'd believe the 1500g claim based on the 32's. For £300 a pair they were well worth the money for me and look much better quality than the Chinese pair a friend bought at the same time.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    As Ugo has already said, look back on the two threads linked above for SSC carbon clincher feedback. I've ready posted my findings there.