Which full sus for around £1000

Lowebee
Lowebee Posts: 15
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Im looking to buy my first MTB in a very long time and im looking at full sus bikes with rear lockout around the £1000 mark. I dont mind creeping over that price but dont want to go alot over it. Currently been looking at the GT Helion Comp, the 2016 Lapierre Raid fx+ and the Giant Stance 27.5. Obviously they all seem to have their pros and cons but does anyone have any experience or opinion about any of these bikes? Im leaning toward the Lapierre as the spec is pretty impressive (to me at least) and ive heard that the shocks on the Giant let the bike down abit. Any info/advice is appreciated, Cheers

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=3171&category_id=3

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=3822

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/stance.27.5/25030/90565/

I should add that im completely open to other ideas, ill need to buy on finance but still dont want to go much over the £1k mark

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    £300 under bugdet and probably better specced than all of them

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-720s-full-suspension-mountain-bike-275-id_8326408.html
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Calibre from Go Outdoors is better as well.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Thanks for the reply guys, ive decided to go with the Rockrider 720S at £699.99, down from £900, and with any spare cash ill start upgrading components as and when needed. Was seriously considering the Caliber Bossnut after what people said but I called up Gooutdoors customer services and they said they didnt know if/when they'd be getting any more bikes of my size back in stock so didnt want to wait for something that may not happen. The Rockrider offers lifetime warranty on frame, stem and handlebars which is a bonus! Should be able to pick it up thursday so ill give an update once ive got it. Thanks again!
  • In a last minute change i checked the gooutdoors website and they were showing stock of the Bossnut so i went for that instead!
  • John Wh
    John Wh Posts: 239
    From what I've read, you won't regret it.
  • Have you got the bike yet?
    What size did you go for?
  • No not got it yet, they ship from the warehouse only but hopefully by the weekend. Went for the 19" frame (im 5' 11"). Ill post first impressions etc when it arrives!
  • Keen to hear what you think as well. It`s a helluva spec for a grand
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • You could have bought mine for £500 and had some change in your pocket!
  • Be good to hear what you think of the bike once you've had a chance to give it some stick. From the reviews it seems off the scale for the price.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • So i received the bike monday after some aggro with the delivery and gooutdoors (which they settled quickly and with an extra 10% off the price). Gave it a quick once over to make sure everything was fine and its first outing was at Bedgebury in Kent on tuesday. Now bare in mind this is my first experience on any kind of trail on any kind of trail bike but I thought it was amazing!! The wide bars felt like it made the bike nice and stable for any bits that were abit sketchy for my ability, the tyres stuck like s*×t to a blanket on the gravelly bends which inspired a lot of confidence. Set the air pressures on both shocks to the spec said in the manual but will be tweaking that as they both seemed to get near the end of their travel without doing alot of big hits but didn't ground out so all good :) the brakes did their job well, felt nice and solid but if anything i will try and get them to be abit more aggressive as sometimes at high speed I did have a few squeaky bum time moments. Gear changes were beautifully smooth all the time. Overall so far I love it, admittedly i will need to tweak here and there to get it exactly as it is but straight out of the box I am loving it and after the 10% off it only cost me £900 so cant complain at all :) Over time I will be upgrading certain components, probably starting with the rear shock as the Monarch R that is supplied doesnt have a lockout feature but thats no massive deal currently. Ive definitely been bitten by the bug now and can see myself spunking ALOT of cash but its all good! I will buy some helicopter tape as theres one particular point on the front of the frame where the rear brake cable rubs and im sure there are other places too but thats no biggy
  • Thanks for taking the time to writ it up. You've got a lot of good stuff ahead of you.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks for the feedback, always helps.

The brakes will improve their bite once bedded in.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for taking the time to give your experience.
    Sounds like a good bike for the cash.
    Get some pics up so we can see it!!
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    Thats a really good spec on a bike at that price point. Looks really nice too.