Wheel building nipple question

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited September 2015 in Workshop
I have accidentally bought the wrong nipples but they might be OK. They are DT Swiss hexagonal head brass 2 mm . My last ones were round (the wider part inside the rim). Does it make any difference? I bought them from bike 24 but can not see them on the DT Swiss website.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• just means you can use a hex tool from the rim side to adjust is all (as well as a normal spoke key on the spoke side)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    It's a good thing, provided you get the right nipple driver, as you get a more positive engagement with a hex-head nipple than with a regular slotted one; if the rim is designed for internal nipples, this is also the only way to tighten them. The only thing to watch out for is that the driver won't self-eject, so be careful not to overtighten the initial spokes, or you'll end up with a wheel that's a total pig to make round.
  • It's a good thing, provided you get the right nipple driver, as you get a more positive engagement with a hex-head nipple than with a regular slotted one; if the rim is designed for internal nipples, this is also the only way to tighten them. The only thing to watch out for is that the driver won't self-eject, so be careful not to overtighten the initial spokes, or you'll end up with a wheel that's a total pig to make round.
    These are slotted as well so presumably can still use nipple driver?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • yes