Focus Cayo LTD Di2 LTD Vs Giant Propel Advanced 0

TipoStradale
TipoStradale Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum but have been cycling for many years. I'm looking for some advice on a bike purchase. I have two bikes which I am considering; http://goo.gl/b0pFaH and http://goo.gl/yFqVkI

I ride sportives up to 100 miles or so and I am upgrading from a Specialized Secteur which has slightly more relaxed geometry like the Specialized Roubaix rather than a flat out race machine. I know the Cayo is more sportive orientated and the Giant is probably more race focussed however the Giant was placed in the Top 5 of Cycling Plus BOTY who say it is very comfortable.

There are pros and cons for both but I think both bikes are well specced and produced by reputable firms so I should have no problems with whichever I choose. I would be happy to hear any opinions, particularly from anyone who rides one of these models.

Thanks.

Comments

• From what I know about the Giant range, although never having ridden 100miles + on a Propel, I'd be surprised if this is the bike for that purpose.

My perception is that the Defy range (I ride a Defy Adv Pro 1) are the sportive bikes, with TCR in the middle on Propel at the aggressive end of the racing set up.
  • I have also looked at both bikes. The Focus is old di2 (6770) that may give you an issue with parts etc moving forward.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Cayo is a great shout but make sure you test ride as not everyone suits the geometry. If I were you save some money and get the newer version with 11 speed mechanical Ultegra. Its getting difficult to find parts for 10 speed Di2 and Shimanos 11 speed mechanical groupsets are superb.
  • From what I know about the Giant range, although never having ridden 100miles + on a Propel, I'd be surprised if this is the bike for that purpose.

The propel is not as bad as you might think for 100 miles. i have 1 and have ridden 100 miles on it no problem. the main thing is making sure whatever bike you gets fits you.
    Any bike can be painful over long distance if it doesn't fit.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Cayo is a great shout but make sure you test ride as not everyone suits the geometry. If I were you save some money and get the newer version with 11 speed mechanical Ultegra. Its getting difficult to find parts for 10 speed Di2 and Shimanos 11 speed mechanical groupsets are superb.
    I have also looked at both bikes. The Focus is old di2 (6770) that may give you an issue with parts etc moving forward.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Interesting that you mention the 6770 Di2 may be hard to find spares for as it wasn't something I had considered so I will definitely consider the mechanical Ultegra on the 2015 Cayo 3.0. It also has the hydraulic disks but from an aesthetics point I think I prefer the traditional calipers look.

Having narrowed it down to two, it appears I may have some more decisions to make!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Although the Cayo is supposed to be Focus' sportive-orientated bike, it's geometry isn't very relaxed at all and all but identical to the Izalco race bikes. I love my own Cayo Evo as it gives an excellent mix of compliance, light weight and stiffness.