Shorts under unpadded bib longs

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,234
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
I have some Gore windstopper bibs which are un padded so I'm looking at some under shorts to go with them rather than spending £150 on a pair of longs.

Budget of around £30ish so thought of something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funkier-10-panel-active-shorts/rp-prod80745 because I have some funkier bibs and I know their sizing will fit.

Any pros/cons with this sort of combo?

I did use some MTB clip in Endura shorts last winter but the pad wasn't as thick as road specific stuff so not as comfortable.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Why not just wear your padded bibshorts under the unpadded longs? It's what I do.
  • I just thought 2 bibs/straps might get a bit cosy.

I might try it later before hitting the buy button.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • I have some Gore windstopper bibs which are un padded so I'm looking at some under shorts to go with them rather than spending £150 on a pair of longs.

Budget of around £30ish so thought of something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funkier-10-panel-active-shorts/rp-prod80745 because I have some funkier bibs and I know their sizing will fit.

Any pros/cons with this sort of combo?

I did use some MTB clip in Endura shorts last winter but the pad wasn't as thick as road specific stuff so not as comfortable.

Unpadded bib tights are designed so that you can wear your bibshorts underneath.
  • Thanks for that, I was blissfully unaware as on the MTB I've never worn padded shorts and these were bought for that.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My experience is to avoid lycra - it gets clammy and cold. The best ones I've found are Sugoi RC Pro undershorts - mesh fabric wicks well and the pad is very good.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Ive always used unpadded bib longs roubaix type with bib shorts underneath. Well worn bib shorts can be used through the winter that would otherwise be useless in summer. Also its another layer over the bits when its extra cold. It does make nature stops a bit more of a faff, otherwise no probs.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • I wear Sportful bib shorts under some Polaris unpadded bib longs when it's a bit cooler and it's absolutely fine.
    You'll have no problems whatsoever :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!