In Praise of Trek - and a what bike? question

Squawk
Squawk Posts: 132
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
The Bad
My bike frame broke on Wednesday. Pretty close to cracking right through the down tube

The Good
After seeing a single photo of the frame Trek have agreed to give a choice of:
  • The equivalent bike, brand new, from this years range
  • A credit for the full value of the new bike, to be put towards any Trek Bike of my choosing

Next up?
The bike in question was a hybrid. I've been considering a road bike for a while, and now seems like the perfect opportunity. Question is, what to go for? I can't use cycle to work as I'm adding cash to a credit note, so more expensive starts to become less attractive. I'm also limited to Cycle Surgery as that was where the original bike was purchased and where the credit has been sent. Kudos to them too, they arranged this for me.

Bike will be used mainly for commuting, but will be my only bike so I'm not looking for a simple workhorse. Guards are a must, pannier would be nice but not essential. Current thinking is the Madone 2.1 from 2015. Linky.

If they price match (It's £720 elsewhere) then I'll go for it I think. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The Bad
    My bike frame broke on Wednesday. Pretty close to cracking right through the down tube

The Good
    After seeing a single photo of the frame Trek have agreed to give a choice of:
    • The equivalent bike, brand new, from this years range
    • A credit for the full value of the new bike, to be put towards any Trek Bike of my choosing

Next up?
    The bike in question was a hybrid. I've been considering a road bike for a while, and now seems like the perfect opportunity. Question is, what to go for? I can't use cycle to work as I'm adding cash to a credit note, so more expensive starts to become less attractive. I'm also limited to Cycle Surgery as that was where the original bike was purchased and where the credit has been sent. Kudos to them too, they arranged this for me.

Bike will be used mainly for commuting, but will be my only bike so I'm not looking for a simple workhorse. Guards are a must, pannier would be nice but not essential. Current thinking is the Madone 2.1 from 2015. Linky.

If they price match (It's £720 elsewhere) then I'll go for it I think. Any other suggestions?

Of what's there, I'd go for the Madone.

Any chance they'd pricematch Evans down to £720 for it...? :D
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/madone-21-2015-road-bike-ec072394
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I wouldn't go for the Madone 2.1 tbh, if only because I had one and didn't much care for it - got a Scott CR1 now.

That said if buying a Trek now I would seriously consider the Domane range, they look very good. Only thing to note is the wheels at that price point are terrible, I use my set now on the turbo as that's all they're good for. So you'll be looking for some wheel upgrades soon after ;)
  • dhope
    The price point for those Domanes is awful though.

£1500 for Sora with HY-RD
    £2000 for 105 and calipers

It's only when you get to £2300 for Ultegra and RS-685 hydraulic discs that it becomes interesting
    And even that is a big premium over something like a Canyon (which I'm biased about as I own one).
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Squawk
    Realistic price range is up to about £850-£900. Beyond that it makes no financial sense, I'd be better off selling the new hybrid and pyaing for a full bike on C2W. If Cycle Surgery will price match at £720 then I think that's a winner. I really want 105, though they do have the 1.5 with Tiagra for £650 which could also be a good option. Actually, now I think about it, if anyone is interested in a brand new Trek FX 7.3 and can't get cycle to work I'm open to talking.
  • Squawk
    I stripped down the bike over the weekend and took the pics below. Can't believe I got away with this while riding.

• And even that is a big premium over something like a Canyon (which I'm biased about as I own one).

Yeah, but the guy needs a bike now, not in 2017... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • dhope
    And even that is a big premium over something like a Canyon (which I'm biased about as I own one).

Yeah, but the guy needs a bike now, not in 2017... :wink:
    Yeah. Well. Um.

Fair point :|
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I stripped down the bike over the weekend and took the pics below. Can't believe I got away with this while riding.

Goodness me - that's pretty bad! What do you think killed it?
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • Squawk
    Absolutely no idea, rode into work without issue that morning, bike locked up in secure parking under the building through the day and seemed fine when I set off. I'd claim it's the awesome power in my pedal action, but my strava stats say I have none. BB housing all seemed fine, wasn't caked in corrosive crap.

Madone now purchased, should have it on Wednesday or Thursday (have to remember to bring pedals to work). Evans are now out of stock in all sizes and they wouldn't price match, but I talked them into a £100 discount. £800 total, which meant adding £270 cash. Tough to argue with that after owning the bike for two years. I've put about 9000 miles into it, all commuting in London.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    To crack 1 tube is hard, to crack 2, along with the massive weld above the BB (with what appears to be one continuous crack) seems incredible.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    To crack 1 tube is hard, to crack 2, along with the massive weld above the BB (with what appears to be one continuous crack) seems incredible.

Agree - it is a massive wound to a bike

You don't leave it locked up outside do you? Just wondering if someone tried the freeze/lever with bike trick on your d-lock and it was the bike that gave way not the lock.

Just thank God/Newton/Blind Luck that it didn't give way at the bottom of a quick descent - would have been messy
  • Squawk
    Good thinking, but can't be that. The bike has only been locked up outside a few times and never with the D-Lock anywhere near the bb. I usually lock it up around the top tube.

Definitely need to thank someone that it didn't fold completely, could have been very nasty.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I've owned and broken two treks, one Alu, one Carbon, both on the drive side chainstay. It does at least make me feel good about my awesome powah, and both times the bike stayed rubber side down and I was entirely uninjured but it would certainly make me think twice about getting a trek in the future - it's good that they have a lifetime frame warranty, not so good that in my experience they need it!
  • This happened to my Trek Domane last year after about 500 miles. I wasn't offered any options, they just replaced the frame, took about 3 weeks via Evans.

Ss4CxjUoPa3moJgRS7WliKLJXXgvtAD--lfcX7pfmYZCG49k7vCDR3W8uF2NirHbw3rA-PM8vjJV1vg-RJ9i74r42ctHV02npBWNSZF6Qt76TyZ7sBk58o_GZf48gwHWLuooW2VIWAQ7CilgQuizTMRzVn3-_JdZ4KG8fyA_MY96h-7wyNvbO4voYIBIxWJnikNQtG6xUeVBQEtS7f60iD9Rx_c_uU_BjvOUu-46N70aTGiXcpaKFAEiv4G3SMHXy6NuRoOYdW9nk0xn96_x3bRSEsvjd0hr3gEKgFlObN_VuL5dVhI2FXA3N8n2fbAusxG0w460OmPNsrtKNx6Gb7rFFSunDHzTpKL5Fv8cvb5a-5dilXDzB_rwWlAVXukm5WsOl5Fb4ufMtXDg3RMpR3zQ9xxtRi2zmMeaDQLg2iA4BK7_P72frhfxd93waZEPF2lgFc91aLZ7uFxL7-6USM7sKJxVxFAK5H8NghW1PXr3k4_3MQJf-BA3Hsn3xu5SLKWpM1aHWGVi_EQo1XTv269nhsRrMazmYSABXPiFtEs=w822-h616-no