Left Shifter Rattle

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I recently had a low-speed accident, hit my left Sora ST-3503 (2014) shifter against a wall and smashed the nameplate off. I managed to source a new nameplate and fitted it with no problems. I have since been a couple of rides and noticed an annoying high-pitch rattle coming from the lever. So I presume it was because I hadnt tightened the new nameplate screws enough. So I went ahead and tightened them some more. I have been a ride today and I can still hear the rattle, I never had this problem at all before the crash so something is still wrong.

After a bit of Googling the most common problem is the bit of rubber may have gone missing from the end of the gear lever, but I have checked mine and its still their. So I'm now at a bit of a loss as to whats causing this, the lever is still working perfectly fine. Other than taking the whole lever apart which I've never done before and am not confident about doing, can anyone suggest a cause?.

Thanks.

Comments

• I'd check brake cable tension. If it's a tiny fraction loose then the nib end of the cable can rattle about in the shifter below the name plate.
  • I'd check brake cable tension. If it's a tiny fraction loose then the nib end of the cable can rattle about in the shifter below the name plate.

Cable tension feels ok, just the same as it was before the accident.
  • I thought I would try removing the nameplate to eliminate that from the possibilities and I just went a quick spin around the block, over a rough road and could'nt hear the rattling at all.

I had already over-tightened the screws in the nameplate as I could see a small crack forming around the screw hole so I can't tighten them anymore. Any suggestions how I can screw the nameplate back in and add some kind of sealant to reduce any vibration that must be causing the noise?.