What would the average life of a chain be? Rattle noise.

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Just asking as my bike has just done 3500miles since new last may, i replaced the chain at around 1200 miles, and again at around 2500, maybe less as i cant remember.

Anyway, its been making a noise lately and i think i have traced it to the rollers as they leave the jockey wheel on the rear mech. The noise is kind of like a quiet rattle. Its a kmc chain and i have degreased and relubed it a few times.

I have now bought a chain checking tool and it dropped straight in, so bought an ultegra 6700 10 speed chain from wiggle for £13.95, that will be fitted before the next ride.

The drivetrain is 105, and looks to be ok still

Is that about the normal wear rate for a chain?
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• might need to change your cassette as well - see if the chain skips

lots of variables for chain wear! sounds ok, some might get more, some less
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Is the new chain length correct.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Chain life is one of those things that seems to vary massively from person to person depending on their riding style, weight, maintenance regime etc.

On a 10 speed triple bike that I ride in all conditions year round, over the past 8 or so chains, I have averaged just under 3400km per chain. I am not particularly good with maintenance, throwing more lube on top of old dirty lube and I certainly never let any degreaser near my chain (that doesn't sound like a good thing!).

I have been using Shimano 105 chains of late (got a bargain on some) and they seem to last slightly better than the KMC chains I was using previously. I think they are made in the same factory!

Anyway, the life you are getting from them sounds on the shorter side, but if you are a big strong rider, you are probably going to wear them quicker etc.

I must get back to riding on geared bikes again this winter - not ridden a deraillieur bike for about a year now. On the fixed I got 6200km out of the last chain.
  • fudgey
    thanks for the replies.
    i am just over 12st, and usually avarage around 17/18mph on flatter rides, 15mph on rides with a bit of climbing if that makes any difference
    i am not the best at climbing.

i will check the cassette for wear, if it skips etc.

as for maintenance, i think the chain has been off probably 3 times and degreased with morgan blue stuff, then lubed with morgan blue spray.

since fitting the chain i remember the roller parts seemed quite loose, ie they moved a bit on the pins and i think its that that is making the noise as the rollers hit the jockey wheel.
    my mates new bike has an ultegra group set on it and its silent, hence going for the new chain.

cheers

as for chain length the new one is 116 links, i havnt took the other one off yet to compare but i had to take some links out of the one that is on there now (its a KMC)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My chains last about 3,000 miles with good maintenance, YMMV. Chain wear/stretch is easy to measure so simply replace before it gets too stretched.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    thanks for the replies.
    i am just over 12st, and usually avarage around 17/18mph on flatter rides, 15mph on rides with a bit of climbing if that makes any difference
    i am not the best at climbing.

i will check the cassette for wear, if it skips etc.

as for maintenance, i think the chain has been off probably 3 times and degreased with morgan blue stuff, then lubed with morgan blue spray.

since fitting the chain i remember the roller parts seemed quite loose, ie they moved a bit on the pins and i think its that that is making the noise as the rollers hit the jockey wheel.
    my mates new bike has an ultegra group set on it and its silent, hence going for the new chain.

cheers

1200 Miles is ridiculous , my chains last over 6000 km's in all kinds of weather.
    Cheaper Shimano's or KMC's .
    Sounds like your maintenance schedule is OK, but your lube is not OK.
  • fudgey
    My chains last about 3,000 miles with good maintenance, YMMV. Chain wear/stretch is easy to measure so simply replace before it gets too stretched.

What is a good chain maintenance schedule?
    And what does YMMV mean?
  • fudgey

What is a good chain maintenance schedule? Maybe i dont lube it enough?
    Tbh, i have probably lubed it 4 times, but this chain has not seen much wet weather.
    And what does YMMV mean?

Cheers
  • My chains last about 3,000 miles with good maintenance, YMMV. Chain wear/stretch is easy to measure so simply replace before it gets too stretched.

What is a good chain maintenance schedule? Maybe i dont lube it enough?
    Tbh, i have probably lubed it 4 times, but this chain has not seen much wet weather.
    And what does YMMV mean?

Cheers
    I guessed he might mean 'Your maintenance might vary' but just googled it and it means 'Your mileage may vary'.