New di2 levers issue

borisface
borisface Posts: 273
edited September 2015 in Workshop
Been running ultegra di2 11 sp set up for about 18 months. I had a crash and a bit of the left hand brake lever broke, making the brake lever a bit too small to use safely so I have decided to replace. The left hand lever still works perfectly as a gear shifter.

I have just installed the left lever connected it up and the gears don't work. Its dead. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and have used the funny tool thing to connect the cable. I have reconnected the old lever and that still works fine.

Any ideas what the issue is?

Comments

• It could be as simple as the new lever is faulty, if the old lever still works and the new one doesn't that would suggest the problem lies with the lever rather than the rest of your set up. Maybe you can try the new lever in a different port in the junction box i.e. switch the left/right levers round and see what happens.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • It could be as simple as the new lever is faulty, if the old lever still works and the new one doesn't that would suggest the problem lies with the lever rather than the rest of your set up. Maybe you can try the new lever in a different port in the junction box i.e. switch the left/right levers round and see what happens.

It had crossed my mind that it could be faulty but shimano's QC is normally pretty good. I'll try swapping the L/R levers as you suggest. I have tried the other ports in the left hand lever but that doesn't make any difference.

I was wondering if there had been some update that meant that they weren't backwards compatible without the computer hookup? Not that I know what I'm on about here.

Perhaps I'll just keep it in the big ring.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    You've already said it, but I would hook up the system to your PC's Shimano e-tube project software and see if an update solves it.
  • Hang on can we take a step back. If I connect the l/h lever to the rear derailleur and I don't get any movement my options are:-

A) The lever is faulty, or

B) I need to spend another £150 odd quid to buy a thing to connect my gears to my computer to run a diagnostic or take it to a shop to do.

If its B) then that's really shit and I am unimpressed as surely a simple replacement and not an upgrade should work without having to do that??
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It may be shoot but the system is software-driven and if one component is out of step with the rest there is a good chance that it won't work. That's how things are these days; no different to hoping to make a printer work with Windows 10 using e.g. Vista drivers.
  • DKay
    B) I need to spend another £150 odd quid to buy a thing to connect my gears to my computer to run a diagnostic or take it to a shop to do.

If its B) then that's really shoot and I am unimpressed as surely a simple replacement and not an upgrade should work without having to do that??

Shouldn't be any need to spend anything. Download and install the free Shimano e-tube project software, then hook up your Di2 charger to your bike and PC. Then update your firmware if required.
  • My charger doesn't have a USB connection just a power lead.
  • DKay
    Your 6870 groupset didn't come with one of these? Are you running the external battery?

SHIMELBA244000000000_1_zoom.jpg
  • Your 6870 groupset didn't come with one of these? Are you running the external battery?

SHIMELBA244000000000_1_zoom.jpg

No it didn't, and yes I'm running an external battery.