Worse for Thursday

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited September 2015 in The bottom bracket
Morning gents, so who struggled today?

Got a last minute crud in last night, must say my road lights aint great, though my friend probably felt like they were a shining beacon from heaven as he didn't have any.

Department meeting at 9:30 and for the first time in about 8 months I can actually go. Bad planning that.

New golf bag bought, salmon salad for lunch made, numerous problems solved on the email, today has had a good start, what time will it all go tits up?

Ps recommendations for mtb lights? Club mates are saying just buy cree as they are so cheap
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• Hope are a good call, I run 2 x 3 LED Lumicycle lamps when I'm out and an Exposure Diable head torch as a second light.

One problem with bar only lamps is that if you're on a twisty track most of the time you can't see what's in front of you as your bars are at an angle to the trail. Hence the head lamp.

Today will involve general office work and maybe cutting back some grass tonight and screwing a bit of decking together.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    ...today has had a good start, what time will it all go tits up?
    About 9:31 I reckon.
    Morning folks,
    Traditional Thursday hangover as it's Thursday. The pale ale is no longer on so I was back on the Pride. My wife noticed the change in what I was drinking. Her first words to me were "what were you drinking? You stink!" She is so lucky to have me as a husband.
    Rode the MTB in to work this morning as I haven't ridden it for a while. Rumbling along on tractor tyres is hard work on tarmac, but I enjoyed it on the loose stuff. Good news is it's all working fine and is ready fro the off road London to Brighton next weekend. Problem is I'm not, way too much going on.
    Oh, for lights SAE15w/40 the best bang for buck is probably this
  • I have one of thise on the road bike for winter rides, probably far too bright but at least I can tense up for the pot hole as I hit it.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Flâneur
    May get one and an exposure for the head. Even if it explodes then it only cost £20
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    Exposures are very good, but you pay for it. I got both of mine in sales at a little over half price. Brings them from eyewateringly expensive to just plain expensive. I use a Joystick on my head, Diablo is bigger and brighter I believe.
    I once read that you shouldn't have a head light brighter than the bar mounted light as you can't see contours properly as the light is too close to your eye line. Bar mounted lights will give bigger shadows so you can see bumps better.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    I've got an Exposure 6 pack for the bars and the joystick to go on top of my helmet (fnarr fnarr). The 6 pack is like a car headlight, properly powerful.

I am worse for Thursday in one way - eventful ride in involving a bit of a spill and some blood - will post pics later (not of the blood).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    edited September 2015
    Exposures are very good, but you pay for it. I got both of mine in sales at a little over half price. Brings them from eyewateringly expensive to just plain expensive. I use a Joystick on my head, Diablo is bigger and brighter I believe.
    I once read that you shouldn't have a head light brighter than the bar mounted light as you can't see contours properly as the light is too close to your eye line. Bar mounted lights will give bigger shadows so you can see bumps better.

Thats all about right, the Diablo is more expensive but has a much longer run time than the joy stick (or at least it did 3 yrs ago) and I hardly ever run it on full beam.

Using a head torch in the rain on descents makes you feel like Spock driving the Millenium Falcon as it's just going into hyperspace.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Afternoon.

pretty unremarkable day here really.

I'm thinking of having a big clearout over the weekend so keep your eyes peeled in the classified section there will soon be 3 framesets, lots of groupset bits and pieces and anything else I want to get rid of. Making room for an (as yet undecided) new bike!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Flâneur
    want to give your favourites a headstart with the list in here before hand ;0

Not sure what I need mind
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Sweet, a 54cm Sworks disc frame would be spot on thanks.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • chris_bass
    well it will be
    giant defy frameset size L- brand new never ridden (accidental late night ebay purchase!) - £150ish
    cube peleton frame size 60 - about 2 months old - £80
    Ribble gran fondo fork (1 1/8 to 1 1/4 tapered) matches the above frame very nicely - same age - £40
    ribble 705 sportive frameset size 56 - used quite a bit and through winter - £80ish

2 sets of 105 5700 shifters - well used and look it but still work perfectly - £40 each pair
    and some other 105 5700/ultegra 6700 bits and pieces (got bored writing the list now!)

P+P to be added to the above

happy to give you lot first refusal
  • chris_bass
    Sweet, a 54cm Sworks disc frame would be spot on thanks.

4 grand sound ok?
  • Flâneur
    Sweet, a 54cm Sworks disc frame would be spot on thanks.

4 grand sound ok?

make it 5 for the finders fee
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • veronese68
    I'm thinking of having a big clearout over the weekend...
    I thought you were in the wrong thread for a moment there.
    Why aren't you selling 9 speed 105 shifters? I'd have had those for the boys bike.
  • veronese68
    I am worse for Thursday in one way - eventful ride in involving a bit of a spill and some blood - will post pics later (not of the blood).
    D'oh!!!! Do you need a new bike? Someone on here might be selling stuff.
    Hope you're ok. If you need advice on claiming for a holiday in California I can help.
    Hang on a minute, with you're record how do I know this is true? Will it be a library picture? Almost believed you there.
  • Flâneur
    I'll take the pics of u bleeding out too mate. I'm not squeamish

anyone got code for sigma sports before I order something in the next hour or so?
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • chris_bass
    I'm thinking of having a big clearout over the weekend...
    I thought you were in the wrong thread for a moment there.
    Why aren't you selling 9 speed 105 shifters? I'd have had those for the boys bike.

haha - hopefully not but i'll make sure i update that thread should anything 'big' happen.

why 9 speed? I have the front and rear mechs too, I have a chain and cassette that has seen very few miles and your chainset should be ok as is.
  • veronese68
    why 9 speed? I have the front and rear mechs too, I have a chain and cassette that has seen very few miles and your chainset should be ok as is.
    It's an old steel frame that is struggling with 9 speed, can't use the smallest cog as the chain hits the frame. So actually fitting 10 speed would make it 9 speed in use. He's got downtube shifters so STI's would be nice. But considering he turns 17 in a week and I'll be paying for driving lessons and insurance he can stick to DT shifters.
    Besides, I could try to justify going 11 speed and full hydraulic by trickling down the 10 speed to him. Now there's a plan.
  • Stevo_666
    Hope you're ok. If you need advice on claiming for a holiday in California I can help.
    Hang on a minute, with you're record how do I know this is true? Will it be a library picture? Almost believed you there.
    Nope, bike just got a few more small scratches and nobody to blame unless you count greasy manhole covers. I'm fine, just a bit of road rash and small hole in my lower leg. And nothing like the great helicopter rescue deception :P Just an interesting meeting with a good Samaritan...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Flâneur
    that is like half a story, I'm off training upon my return I expect a full description of events and pictures (get A77 to colour them in mind)
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Nope, bike just got a few more small scratches and nobody to blame unless you count greasy manhole covers. I'm fine, just a bit of road rash and small hole in my lower leg. And nothing like the great helicopter rescue deception :P Just an interesting meeting with a good Samaritan...
    Sorry to hear that you are the worst for wear after your run in with Jeremy Corbyn. Get well soon :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    Okay okay, here's the story.

Pedalling into work, still damp on the roads from the rain last night went round a right hand bend at a decent pace and didn't spot a manhole cover in time to dodge it. Front wheel goes sideways, I hit the deck like a sack of spuds knee and lower leg first. Sods law dictates there's a handy smal, stone in the road that embeds itself into my right knee. A bit painful shall we say.

So there I am on the deck in agony, drag myself to the kerb and watch the claret flow. I was vaguely aware of a loud vulgar looking car rumble past. Anyhow a minute or so later a smart middle eastern looking bloke comes up to me asks if I'm OK and if I need a bandage as he's got a first aid kit in his car. By this time the pain has gone down enough that I'm not involuntarily swearing so I pick the small, stone out of my knee, check the bike is in one piece and limp round the corner to his car: he gets the first aid kit out, offers me an antiseptice wipe and a bandage that I put on. I say ta very much and have a quick chat, including asking him about his slight 'unique' car. Felt I had to take a pic or two:

20150804_185759b.jpg

20150804_185809a.jpg

Tbh not the sort of car you expect to stop and help, but top bloke. Didn't have the heart to tell him he'd ferked up a real,y good motor...

Although being a petrol head, good to know that some people with horribly flash motors aren't tosspots :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    I'll take the pics of u bleeding out too mate. I'm not squeamish

anyone got code for sigma sports before I order something in the next hour or so?

I have £1.30 discount from Rutland Cycles available.

Thought I heard someone say that he had all these wonderful obstacles to navigate when he commutes to work or some thing like that.

Meh.
    Strimmer is playing up.
    Eyes are bunged up due to a dodgy head cold and looking at this screen with the brightness turned down is still 'orrible.
    Big meeting with some bloke who thinks he is ultra important tomorrow. He got a public interrogation from me at a council meeting 2 years ago and now walks around on eggshells when we meet. Looks like we might be getting a new premises but I wonder what the catch is...

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Flâneur
    Got a friend who works at Rutlan so 1.30 probably wasn't going to help in anyway. Bought my cliff bars already though

Lucked out Stevo with the lack of injuries but nice to see not every rich person hates cyclist. Glad you are ok.

Now broke, just bought some flights to South Africa next spring. Wallet is not liking the current holiday attitude
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Well done Stevo on your crash

Today has been car crash, left home at 6am for a day of meetings and a dinner and just got home :(

Worse but is I cancelled my hotel for tonight in Solihull and I've now got to go back tomorrow, so better try and get some sleep as the alarm is going to go off soon
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    back from the Emerald Isle and too late for the local chain gang. Looking forward to a burrito tomorrow for breakfast and I'm amazed I rank them above a bacon butty which I appreciate is near heresy.

GWS Stevo, appreciate individuals of your vintage take longer to repair .. :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Flâneur
    brown or red on the sandwich, scrap that, it can be a friday topic
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Ta all. On the train today...nothing to do with lightning striking twice or anything. Messy bits are drying up quite nicely so it'll be bike time as usual next week. :)

@ Pinno - obstacles are fun except when you crash into them, or on them. Or vice versa.
  • Stevo_666
    brown or red on the sandwich, scrap that, it can be a friday topic
    Ketchup, to go with the leg in my case.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Glad you're in one piece Stevo
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי