Rapha Pro Team jacket - as good as they say...?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,881
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

so tell me, for those who own, or have owned one, how good exactly is this jacket, how do you rate it, and what is it's USP if you will, or what are the key features for you personally?

What do you feel the jacket is best suited to, both in terms of conditions and temperature range and also activity, ie fast tempo session, intervals, steady mileage etc etc

Considering purchasing one, but am sure there are a fair few owners, past and present, on here!
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I would say it's a great winter jacket for going hard in cold (0-5decC) conditions

I run so hot that passing midgets use me as a steam room but I found if i was on an easier ride (one of those Z2 rides we used to get told to do) that i got cold - same with the tights. I have nt found a jacket for that yet
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    as above, when going hard it is fantastic.

There was a big thread regarding this V the Alpha not so long ago, worth a search. Though my 2p is my friend just bought the rapha to replace his alpha after borrowing mine for a few early spins before the temp got up.

Given the space it is a base layer/jacket job, if you want something you can put a base layer/long sleeve jersey on consider the regular pro team jacket.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I run cold, so get an awful lot of use out of mine - I can often be spotted wearing it in temperatures of up to 10-13 degrees! With a base layer and, probably, a jersey underneath!

Nice jacket, good cut.

Some pockets - the little zip up one on the side is good for cash.

Good wind proofing and water resistant enough for short showers or gentle rain.

One of the best things I have and I do get a lot of use from it, especially overnight riding. Most of my mileage is (very) steady, in all temperatures.
  • Pick it up and you wonder how it can work. Even the fleece lining is practically non existent. But it does work.

As usual much depends on how hot/cold you run and what you put under it.

Broadly, the Alpha Jersey and Rapha Jacket are roughly similar in what conditions you can use them in. The Rapha has the edge on warmth. Both are as good as each other in damp conditions. You can wear an Alpha jersey without a base layer. Doing that with the Rapha feels a little less normal.

In true cold, at reasonable speeds, the Alpha jacket is incredible.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    One thing I didn't like about it was how wet the outside got from transferring perspiration, so much that it rarely dried quick enough to wear the following day. This is unlike the Alpha Jersey which is quick drying. I also didn't like the fit around the collar of the Rapha and much prefer the Alpha Jersey as it's snug and 'feels' better on. I sold mine and bought the Alpha and much prefer it and wouldn't buy another Pro Team. If you already have the Alpha Jersey then I wouldn't waste your money, but then...... :twisted:
    Temperature wise I'd say they're very similar, but the Alpha Jersey while performs same in low temps is more versatile and can be worn in warmer conditions, so throughout Autumn and Spring.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have 2 and IMO they're the perfect autumn/winter jacket, layer up or down depending on the temp.

I like both the fit and style, but these are very personal things.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Oh dear, I'm not going to help clarify things for the OP! I have a pro jacket and an alpha jacket. The two aren't comparable in so far as the alpha is suited to much colder temperatures. Thing is that I struggle to find the right conditions where I find the pro jacket comfortable. I find it poor for breathability and in milder weather it's a bit boil in the bag. I'd much rather wear something like a long sleeve brevet jersey and carry a wind or rain jacket in the back pocket if the weather turns. I find the alpha jacket amazing in winter. My rapha pro jacket is likely to remain unused.

Peter
  • I can't speak for the Alpha as I've never owned one, but I consider my Pro Team Jacket one of the best bits of kit I own. The one I have is a couple of years old now, and is probably different to the current itteration, but I've always found it comforatable, breathable and will shrug off the odd shower. Paired with a base layer it'll go down to 4-8c or with a thickish merino b/l it'll go below zero (but I do run quite warm once I get moving).

Being in Berkshire it might be worth your while going over to Shepton Mallet to the Rapha discount concession in Kilver Court to have a look - I'm sure they had a few when I was there in June.
  • I had a pro team jacket (sold due to weight loss) and I currently have an alpha jersey...

As I run hot I didn't tend to wear the pro team jacket above 5 degrees (if going hardish, like on my commute) but when I did wear it I loved it, very comfortable and just nice to wear.

I dont find the alpha jersey that breathable though I did buy it at a discount late in the season earlier this year and so it's probably more suited for colder rides than I used it for (but for warmer conditions than the pro team jacket).

Didn't find it very comfortable against the skin without a base layer to be honest...and it needs to be washed after every ride (or days commuting) else it'll smell (like most jerseys then...unless we're talking rapha sportswool ;) )

Anyway, I've keep it for use this winter and will see if I like it then. At the moment I'm not massively impressed and would've been offended if I'd paid full price for it ;) (and the same for the gabba, I didn't feel it matched the massive hype it gets, at least for the RRP)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My favorite bit of kit last winter. Ideal from zero up to high single figure temperatures. The pockets are stretchy and I can get loads in and the cut is nice and racey.

On occasion I did wear it well into sub-zero temperatures with a full length base layer + a gillet over the top!
  • One thing I didn't like about it was how wet the outside got from transferring perspiration, so much that it rarely dried quick enough to wear the following day.

Eh? Are you drying it outside in winter? I can come home, wash it, hang it up and it's ready for the next morning. I've got central heating in the house though ... ;-)
  • One thing I didn't like about it was how wet the outside got from transferring perspiration, so much that it rarely dried quick enough to wear the following day.

Eh? Are you drying it outside in winter? I can come home, wash it, hang it up and it's ready for the next morning. I've got central heating in the house though ... ;-)

We've always dried our clothing indoors (for some reason, we do have an outside area but hav enever got around to hooking up a clothes line), and the one thing that almost revolutionised our laundry (no, bear with me...) is a dehumidifier. We have one going next to the clothes horse and it literally suckes the moisture out of the newly washed stuff. Plus if you turn it with the back facing the clothes horse it pumps warm air toward the clothes. Marvellous invention!

Sorry, off topic. My bad (or whatever it is the youf say)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,881
    Thanks for all those replies gents.

I do have an Alpha jersey which was a bargain sub £80 new, and is a lovely bit of kit imho.

My current winter jackets are probably a bit excessive if I am being honest, but as a fair few people know I am a bit of a kit collector.

I currently have a Giordana trade team jacket which is very nice, a Gore phantom barely used which I didn't get on and will be sold, and a Mavic Echappee Jacket.

Additionally this spring/summer (And therefore not had a chance to wear any of it) in the sales, or second hand I have bought:
    Assos 851
    Mavic Cyclone Winter jacket (I can still return this as it was from CRC)
    Parentini Mossa (Has arrived at home but I am not there, so no chance to check it out)
    Long sleeve gabba

The only reason I have now started to look at Rapha, is having chanced my arm with a pair of lightweight bibshorts in the sale, I was 'that' impressed, that I think there actually is something in the name and quality of their items - though I would never pay rrp, and am not sure I have for any piece of cycle clothing really, except for perhaps something like socks!

In that respect I may l consider a second hand jacket, as none of their current colours apeal to me, even if the archive store may well have some stonking deals.
    I think I recall either the ebay store or the sale having the jackets on sale last year for either £120 or £100, something in that region anyway.

I thought reviews and opinions would be mixed, but they are all good to hear, and help me make a decision.

As I am buying second hand, I doubt I would lose that much if I decided it was not for me anyway, so not really a risky purchase to my mind.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18