105 or Ultegra brake upgrade?

apc1
apc1 Posts: 49
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Have a Specialized Tarmac sport which I love but thinking of upgrading the calipers from the stock Spesh axis 1.0 to 105's or Ultegra's because both very reasonable at CRC/Wiggle etc at present. The rest of the groupset is 105 which I am very happy with and will not change.

Are Ultegra calipers worth the extra? 105's apparently perform pretty well according to reviews but for an extra £12 each could get Ultegras

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    I assume you are referring to the 5800 105 and 6800 Ultegra calipers? They were both redesigned to give increased stopping power compared to the previous models, the 105 model can be used with 28mm tyres the Ultegra 25mm. Both will be an improvement over you stock brakes. I think the Ultegra are worth the extra £12 if you don't mind the mismatch with the rest of you groupset.
  • 105 calipers with Swissstop pads
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    As above whichever model you buy, fit SwissStop FlashPro BXP Blue pads.
    http://www.swissstop.ch/rimbrakes/flashpro/bxp/
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I have been really impressed by my 5800 105 brakes - even on the standard pads, they are much more powerful than the 3500 Sora brakes I had on my previous bike - which I put swisstop pads in. I am going to put some swisstop pads onto my new one though in the spring when I get it out again. I'm being forced to have a break from cycling until then :(
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Just recently switched from 5800 calipers to 6800 for cosmetic reasons and I can honestly say that I can't feel any difference in how they perform. The 6800 calipers are definately better made, with less slop, although the 5800 items are still good quality. The standard Shimano pads work well in the dry, but they eat rims for breakfast in the wet.
  • apc1
    apc1 Posts: 49
    Thanks All for the replies, seems to be strong feeling 105's with Swiss stop is the way to go.

Cheers
  • DKay
    I personally rate Kool Stop Salmons higher than Swisstops. Very similar braking performance, but last longer and are half the price.
  • My Ultegra brakes seem to be far more effective than my 105s, really a big difference. Never really noticed difference from going from Tiagra to 105 some time ago but Ultegra a bit of a revelation. Not sure if shifters help too but worth £12 more for sure. That's running standard Shimano pads too, once they wear out will be going Swisstop...
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I personally rate Kool Stop Salmons higher than Swisstops. Very similar braking performance, but last longer and are half the price.

Are you sure about that? As far as I can see, you pay about £10 for a pair of Kool Stop pads and £20 for two pairs of Swissstops - ie about the same price.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Go with the 105 to match the rest of your gear, and spend the odd £12 on Kool Stop salmon pads.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • DKay

Are you sure about that? As far as I can see, you pay about £10 for a pair of Kool Stop pads and £20 for two pairs of Swissstops - ie about the same price.

Must have missed that one and presumed that the Swisstop price was for a pair only. Happy to be corrected.