Trek fuel ex 8 2016 chainring and rear axle bit

Wethers
Wethers Posts: 9
edited September 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
...So I got a new bike! My first full sus, and my first 650b, and my first bike thats ever cost more than a couple hundred quid...
21445199746_ff3c429cc8_z.jpgDSC_0784 by wetherby as, on Flickr
Its a Trek Fuel EX 8, the 2016 model. Got a wicked discount on it as i work in a bike shop. Been for one ride and spent this afternoon tinkering. I took the front mech and shifter off and plonked on a superstar narrow wide. HOWEVER, i dont think it fits on my deore chainset:
21471446975_1036580240_z.jpgDSC_0789 by wetherby as, on Flickr
Its 32tooth.. should i send it back and get a 34, or can I get away with a few washers??

Next, I was plonking my rear wheel on, and snapped the plastic bit on the thru axle. Im hoping I can get a new one from work, any ideas??
21460460982_2848844aa2_z.jpgDSC_0792 by wetherby as, on Flickr

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are you sure it's a 32, looks like a 30, but no, you can't use washers, you could file the little tips out the way though.

It looks like the bush that the cam on the QR works against, it's bespoke and you'll probably have to buy a whole new axle as they probably aren't sold separately.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No wish to sound funny but if you work in bike shop how come you are asking questions here?
  • When you're next in work, go on dexdealer, log in and then click the services tab. Click the link for Tech Site, wait for the page to open in a new tab and then click bikes. Find your bike and then order the correct part from the diagram through work.

As for the chainring, 32t rings don't work too well with Shimano double chainsets as such. Either man up and go 34t :-p file the tabs off the chainset oe buy something new and shiny.
  • thanks for the replies. got the spares from the shop and fitted a couple chainring spacers. Its a good temporary solution. The axle is (for now) fine. I have to make sure its properly tight before each ride but seems ok without that little part. Its deffo a 32t but im gonna stick a 34 on there soon - with the range expander i should have the legs for it.