Zipp Rim decals

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Im looking at a good deal on some Zipps (303 Firecrest) but wondering if I can easily change the decals as they come with the the too loud white ones.

I had some Zipps a while back where they were just stickers, but is this the case with 2015 wheels?

Cheers

Comments

• Search Zipp decals on eBay. There's a guy in the UK that does them in lots of colours and the quality is just as good as the official Zipp decals at a third of the price.

FWIW - I went from original 2013 'Zipp Speed Weaponry'' Beyond Black decals to official 'Murder Black' 2014 jobs then decided the wheels looked like every other carbon rim out there so bought a couple of sets from the eBay guy in too loud white. They look a lot more Pro now ;-)
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    The ones from EBay are pretty good, but I found the adhesive was nowhere near as strong as the proper Zipp ones. Don't get me wrong, it's good enough, but a couple of thin sections did start to lift at the corners quite quickly.

Btw the ONLY colour for Zipp decals is white :D
  • Cheers for the responses. Are the decals that come on them just stickers though, do you peel them off first or put the replacements over the top?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Cheers for the responses. Are the decals that come on them just stickers though, do you peel them off first or put the replacements over the top?

They're stickers so just peel them off, then the rim will need cleaning with something like APC (all purpose cleaner) to safely remove any residue. Hot soapy water would be fine too.
  • Hair dryer at medium heat (says the bald man who uses the wife's) peel off, dab on some citrus degreaser, leave for 5 mins, wipe off the then clean with acetone. Sounds a right faff but it'll give you a sound surface for re application. Check YouTube. Zipp actually have a decal removal and application video!